We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange Rate

Mansfield Woodhouse
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Exchange Rate

Hi

Is it better to change our money before we go or change it when we gt there?

Thanks in advance.

Claire

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,468 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange Rate

You do best to take a debit card and get money out of ATMs.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange Rate

As Sydneynick suggests, especially if you have a santander bank account. You don't get charged for withdrawing money at their ATMs.

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange Rate

If you are taking money out with you then personally I would change it before going. As said on previous thread why waste time looking to change it out there when the difference will be so small all it does is waste holiday time which is short enough as it is without looking around to save next to nothing.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange Rate

I usually exchange a fair bit before I leave (don't use the Post Office though - their rates are shocking lately, those cheque exchange/gold buy places usually offer the best rate in my town.) Then I put as much as I can on my credit card (groceries, meals etc) and that always gives me a slightly better exchange rate than what I got at home. Then if I do have to exchange a little in resort there is always somewhere to go in a tourist spot and their rates are usually the same or a smidgin better than home. From a previous post it says, a good place "to exchange money are the tobacco shop or I Punkt tours shop,they are both next to the brittania bar" in Sa Coma. So whichever method suits you best Claire.

Mentioned in this post
Sa Coma
Sa Coma
Majorca, Spain
Mansfield Woodhouse
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange Rate

Thank you all for your info. I have a Natwest bank account so dont think i'll be using that whilst there!

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange Rate

I take some in euros and the rest on a money card as I don't like to use my own cards due to the amount my bank charges. I got a Thomas Cook money card last year as the rates were quite good and they give you a second card so that if you lose one you can phone and cancel that and still use the second one. It saves then having to send you out a new card and you don't get that expense of them doing it. If you do get a Thomas Cook one all I would say is order on-line and pick up and pay in store as the rate is often better.

7. Re: Exchange Rate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Sa Coma