We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning a Spring trip

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Help planning a Spring trip

Am considering a trip in April for our 25th anniversary to the Martinsburg area. The DH would like to stay in a mountain cabin, with lots of privacy. We like to hike and shop for antiques, and I'm interested in visiting Civil War sites. We like small towns, little shops, and local restaurants.

Any ideas or help.

6 replies to this topic
Arnoldsburg
Level Contributor
75 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help planning a Spring trip

I am sorry I can't help with the mountain cabin but maybe I can help a little on the other parts.

Civil war sites: Antietam battlefield just outside of Sharpsburg, MD. Gettysburg a few miles north above Fredrick, MD. A very lovely little town to visit is Shepherdstown, WV. That could be a stop on the way to Antietam. Harpers Ferry is a few miles south of Shepherdstown and east of Charles Town, WV. Those are to name just a few.

I have read on here on other posts, there are many more sites nearby if you know where to look. I would suggest a search on Google about Civil war sites in that area. Asking at one of the visitors center at one of the other sites would be a great start. Or you can contact www.wv.gov and send for a visitors guide. Just keep in mind. It is best to not always let a visitors guide lead you. Use it for help but use other information to look into sites also.

And as for as small towns and small shops. Shepherdstown is a great location. I have shopped there and spent many hours walking the streets and eating at the local restaurants. My fav is Tony's for the German Street club sandwich. But there are other great places to eat. If you like Chinese, there is a good Chines restaurant just a couple of miles outside of town in a shopping center. Called Awok. It is in the Food Lion shopping center. Just ask anyone in town if you are interested. There is the China Kitchen in town, but the food is not really to my tastes. It is way to spicy for me. Good but very spicy for my tastes.

You can lose yourself very easily shopping in this little town.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help planning a Spring trip

Thanks, these are the sort of things we're looking for. Although we arent' chines food people, more steak house, hamburg and bar-b-qu joints. I know I want to go Harper's Ferry. Is this an area for getting out to see a few waterfalls or caves. Short hikes and the sort.

Arnoldsburg
Level Contributor
75 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help planning a Spring trip

Harpers Ferry is a great place to get out and walk. It is not always easy finding a place to park. A lot of times you have to park up the hill at the state park area and take a shuttle down or walk down. It is a little bit of a walk but if you like hiking it is a good hike. And of course walking around the town itself.

There is a fee to park at the ranger station and to use the shuttle. If you would rather not pay you can drive down yourself and try to find a place to park. They don't allow parking on the main streets of Harpers Ferry but there is a train station with a parking lot where you might find a place to park.

As far as the food choices. I mentioned Tony's. It is on German Street in Shepherdstown. It is a local "pizza joint". But they serve great sandwiches also. As far as steak houses. That would be Martinsburg area. There is a Ryan's and a lot of other restaurants there. Fast food and set-down type places. As far as BBQ. I don't know of any real good BBQ places. Their might be some, but I have not found any in Martinsburg. There is one in Charles Town. I can't remember the name but it has good food. It is a restaurant of a motel in Charles Town. However, I have never eaten any of their BBQ stuff.

If you really like hiking, Antietam Battlefield is a wonderful place to walk. I don't know how many miles of road their is around the whole area, but I have seen lots of people walking the route.

There is a "trail" around the area with signs posted all over the place telling about the battle. It wounds all around the area. Past farms, cemeteries, statues, and other sites.

Now as far as seeing caves and waterfalls. There is a river at Harpers Ferry, but I don't know of any waterfalls or caves in that area. The rangers at the park station could answer that question a lot better than me.

Outside of Sharpsburg, MD towards Boonsboro, MD there is Crystal Grottos. I have never stopped but almost every time I go by there are several cars there. That is above Shepherdstown, WV in Maryland out on rt. 34.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help planning a Spring trip

thanks peterpan2011 for the help.

Arnoldsburg
Level Contributor
75 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help planning a Spring trip

vtmom, you are very welcome. I hope you have a wonderful time with your visit.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help planning a Spring trip

We are planning our yearly trek to Florida on I-81 and are considering a stopover in Martinsburg.

The H.I. has positive reviews.Any other suggestions would be appreciated.Also we would enjoy a

pub or sports bar within walking distance.

Thanks

Reply to: Help planning a Spring trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Martinsburg