We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to experience Apostle Islands

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Best way to experience Apostle Islands

We are making a trip up in July and I am wondering if doing a tour or kayaks would be our best bet. Not sure the tours (http://www.apostleisland.com/grand-tour/) let you off on the islands or you just look from a distance? But if you kayak I doubt you cover as much ground.

Would Bayfield be our homebase?

Any advice is appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Bayfield
Bayfield
Wisconsin
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to experience Apostle Islands

Bayfield is a great home base.

The boat tours are a great way to experience the Apostles. Kayaks are great too if you've done it before and paired with tour guides, what with it being Lake Superior and all it is the recommended way to kayak.

for kayaking: https:/…kayaking.htm

boat tour options:

http://www.apostleisland.com/

Edited: 22 April 2016, 00:32
Mentioned in this post
Bayfield
Bayfield
Wisconsin
WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to experience Apostle Islands

check also recent threads in the Bayfield forums for all the ideas of what to do in the area which include: Iron Bridge, Big Top shows, orchard stores/berry picking, Madeline Island, trails/waterfalls, dining ideas and more.

Edited: 22 April 2016, 00:34
Mentioned in this post
Bayfield
Bayfield
Wisconsin
Madeline Island
Madeline Island
192 Reviews
Apostle Islands, WI
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to experience Apostle Islands

Thanks! If kayaking, can you go up onto the islands or just view them from the water?

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to experience Apostle Islands

from the kayaking link I posted above: "Island Ethics

Apostle Islands National Lakeshore offers boaters the opportunity to experience and enjoy a variety of natural and cultural features. Paddlers must do their part to help protect park resources. Beaches are some of the park's most popular attractions. They also support fragile plant communities. Camping within 100 feet of the shoreline is not permitted unless in a designated camp area. Please walk near the water line or on established trails and take care not to trample beach grasses and lichen. Campfires are not allowed at Julian Bay beach on Stockton Island, on Raspberry Island beaches, or on any beaches adjacent to campsites with fire receptacles. Be prepared to pack out whatever you pack in. Try to leave no trace of your visit."

this is the most I know. Contact the Chamber of Commerce or the outfitters for more specifics would be my suggestion.

Mentioned in this post
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
Apostle Islands National...
148 Reviews
Wisconsin
WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to experience Apostle Islands

for lodging we love Seagull Bay www.seagullbaymotel.com for its Lake Superior view, quiet below the road location, great owners, located along the Brownstone Trail can be accessed by stairs leading down to it....Also they shuttle for free to the Big Top shows. I highly recommend seeing a show at this unique location.

Dining: Don't miss the Old Rittenhouse Inn's Landmark Restaurant for breakfast or lunch. It's a reasonable special treat. Dinner is pricier but great as well. It is also a great romantic place to stay at. Egg Toss Cafe serves great breakfast and south of Bayfield check out a special treat/experience by going to Delta Diner. www.deltadiner.com

Mentioned in this post
Brownstone Trail
Brownstone Trail
33 Reviews
Bayfield, WI
Bayfield
Bayfield
Wisconsin
WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to experience Apostle Islands

sorry http://www.seagullbay.com/

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to experience Apostle Islands

sea kayak.

i've done it and if you wanna get up close and personal with the sea caves, then kayaking is the way to go.....

do a day trip with the outfitter of your choice and see the mainland sea caves... you launch from meyer's beach, near cornucopia, and paddle maybe a mile, along the shore to the caves.... it's AWESOME... of course, it's all dependent on the weather and sea conditions---you wanna do it on a calm day, with the wind blowing out.... more aggressive trips go out to the island sea caves... i've paddled the sand island sea caves and they're awesome too, but, for an easier trip, the mainland caves are more than good enough.... thing is, if you do sand island, it's about a 4 mile (or is it 2?, i can't remember) crossing to the island, but you can also get out and walk around.... if you do the mainland, there is not place to get out--ie--it's a paddling trip only....

if you just wanna get an overview of the cliffs and sea caves, and possibly go out to other islands in the relative safety and speed of a boat, then take the cruise....

happy paddlin'!!

Edited: 24 April 2016, 00:34
La Pointe, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to experience Apostle Islands

Rent a boat if you have boating experience. Great value on all day or week long rentals!

http://www.captainbobsmarina.com/

9. Re: Best way to experience Apostle Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2017, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Apostle Islands
More Apostle Islands Topics