We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent llamas for hiking in/near Dubois

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Rent llamas for hiking in/near Dubois

Is there a place to rent llamas in or near Dubois besides the big company out of Lander? Their llamas are all booked over our trip dates (August 18-22, 2017; the big eclipse weekend), and we were hoping to have 2 llamas for our hike along the Ross Lake trail and beyond.

9 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Rent llamas for hiking in/near Dubois

A quick google search

http://www.jacksonholellamatrekking.com

http://www.llamaadventure.com

www.rent-a-llama.com/listing.php?business=29

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2. Re: Rent llamas for hiking in/near Dubois

Thank you. I did an extensive Google search and checked for availability of llamas to rent (not fully guided trips) and have not found any. Do you have any personal knowledge of llamas for rent in the Dubois area that might not have a good showing in the more obvious listings?

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: Rent llamas for hiking in/near Dubois

>Thank you. I did an extensive Google search and checked for availability of llamas to rent (not fully guided trips) and have not found any.

You had mentioned in your original post you were looking for alternatives outside of the 1 company you found. So I assume you have contacted the links that Ystoner noted? Even if they are booked, I would ask them on suggestions on other companies that can provide the same service since it is a very specific group of people that provide this service. However, I assume they all would be listed. From a business perspective and our short summer season, I don't know why they wouldn't.

Dubois is a very small town. If anything like that exists that wouldn't have a website, they might know. Contact the Chamber directly.

http://www.duboiswyomingchamber.org/

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4. Re: Rent llamas for hiking in/near Dubois

Thank you for the insight and suggestions. The various companies or Dubois CC may know of folks that do not maintain a web presence (as some older or smaller businesses still do not, I've found). Also even though the companies that provide full service treks do not show they rent without requiring one of their own guides, if they have extra llamas (such as due to smaller groups booking the guided trips) perhaps they would be willing to.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,848 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Rent llamas for hiking in/near Dubois

I agree it's a good idea to call the chamber and ask around. There's a llama ranch (or whatever they're called) just a little ways south of town, so they'd have great access to your trailhead. If you do rent llamas, I'd strongly suggest that you get the owner to deliver the llamas to the trailhead rather than picking them up and having them ride in the backseat or your car. That could leave quite a mess, not to mention it could get real crowded back there if you have other passengers, like your kids. Or least keep the windows rolled down.

The road to your trailhead gets pretty beat up the last few miles, so be careful out there, especially is you have a 2wd low slung car.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6. Re: Rent llamas for hiking in/near Dubois

Checking with www.wildernessridgetrailllamas.com in Idaho (suggested by folks at jacksonholellamatrekking.com) find they will truck their llamas to the Winds area, and have a couple available. Thank you all for your help; I thought that would be too far so hadn't checked with them until encouraged by the replies in this post.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7. Re: Rent llamas for hiking in/near Dubois

Are you interested in hiring llamas for the time of August 18-22, beginning at the Whiskey Mountain Trail head near Dubois, WY? If 3 different groups want just a couple of llamas each, assuming there are another 4 available on this busy weekend, we might be able to share the cost of having the company drive the llamas all the way from Idaho. For just me the fee is too high.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,848 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Rent llamas for hiking in/near Dubois

Just curious: did you ever put a plan together to use llamas on your camping trip? If so, did you take the advice in post #5?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
9. Re: Rent llamas for hiking in/near Dubois

No one has said they are interested in sharing the cost of transporting llamas from the only available company I've found (see post 7), so we will just backpack as usual carrying all our gear. About your post 5; I haven't heard back from the Dubois Chamber of Commerce, but I haven't found anything about llamas just south of town. The companies I've heard about that you can rent from offer delivery service or trailer rental. I'd never heard of anyone considering putting llamas in a private vehicle and would not try it myself.

Reply to: Rent llamas for hiking in/near Dubois
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dubois