We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations

San Diego...
Level Contributor
104 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodations

Thinking of staying a few days in CC to enjoy snorkeling etc on way to Volcano. Seems like there are some nice B&Bs in the area. Kane Plantation house stands out. Any others or ones closer to Kona that you'd recommended?

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Ka'awa Loa Plantation
Ka'awa Loa Plantation
#1 of 15 B&Bs / Inns in Captain Cook
Aloha Guest House
Aloha Guest House
#2 of 15 B&Bs / Inns in Captain Cook
Belle Vue Kona B&B
Belle Vue Kona B&B
#3 of 15 B&Bs / Inns in Captain Cook
20 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,576 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Accommodations

The OP mentioned in another thread that their flight arrives at 11:10 am. Several of us already recommended heading directly to Volcano and not divvying up their stay between three locations (Kona districts, Volcano, Kohala Coast).

~ Colleen

Edited: 06 June 2017, 14:52
Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Accommodations

I don't know, with a week solid in Kohala, I see nothing adverse to exploring different areas. I don't know how many people are coming. If more than two, moving around is more fuss. I've always been a two nights in one place kind of traveler, which I haven't done so much in Hawaii, but it can work.

South Kona is doable as a day trip for the attractions, but it's also a place where one is more likely to get a feel for the vibe by staying a couple nights. I don't see it as a must to have only two bases. I had 4 on my first visit, and three on my second. Feelings about moving around are an individual thing, IMHO.

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,215 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
321 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Accommodations

"There are no cities at all on the Big Island, let alone "big cities". Kailua Kona is the busiest, most densely developed *town*."

Kailua itself (pupulation ~12000 in 2010 census) is smaller than Hilo (also not really a city with ~41000 in 2010 census). That said, Kailua sort of merges with a lot of other small towns up and down the coast sort of seemlessly.

I've never had a problem with a vacation rental due to it being a non permitted use, but I try to avoid them in areas where locals are sensitive about them. What I do try to do is ensure that they have a valid Transient Accommodations Tax certificate so that they are at least paying their taxes to support the infrastructure.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Accommodations

Mike, most of the TAT, paid to the State not the County, goes to Oahu ...

Local residents ARE sensitive in South Kona, and have been for a long time. Honestly, people here are not confronational. I've lived next to three rentals. I absolutely hated it. I never said anything to the renters, but I thought very bad things. People should not assume the neighbors

didn't mind and that they were no trouble. Transient comings and goings are a disturbance, by their nature. My experience is less than one in ten occupants of illegal rentals (due to zoning) I've personally experienced are considerate of their temporary neighbors.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
321 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Accommodations

KK: I understand what you are saying about Captain Cook and the Kona districts in general. My cottage is in Mountain View and I can assure you that very few people in my neighborhood would have a problem with a vacation rental or even notice if one were there.

Mentioned in this post
Captain Cook
Captain Cook
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
San Diego...
Level Contributor
104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Accommodations

Looking at a couple B&B's which have great reviews on TA and presume are legal. They are up away from the coast. Any info?

honu Kai

Ohi'a Park Estate

Or

Wyndham Kona on the beach. This would be a 2 night stop.

Mentioned in this post
Honu Kai B&B
Honu Kai B&B
649 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Ohi'a Park Estate
Ohi'a Park Estate
221 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,454 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Accommodations

I do not think one can assume TA bothers to check legality.

I would just go with the Wyndham one it is in a resort zoned area and is probably in a more convenient location assuming you plan to go in and out at night.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Accommodations

Right, reviews on TA mean nothing in terms of licensing. wahineokewaa will know because she lives there.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Accommodations

Ka'awa Plantation is licensed, and the first one you asked about.

Any description of "on the beach" in Kailua-Kona is likely a stretch of what most people think beachfront is going to be.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Accommodations

The Wyndham in Kailua Kona is not on a beach. It's not even oceanfront.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Reply to: Accommodations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Captain Cook