We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aloha Guest House BNB'S(84-4780 Mamalahoa Highway, Captain C

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Aloha Guest House BNB'S(84-4780 Mamalahoa Highway, Captain C

I am thinking about staying at Aloha Guest House BNB in May. The website says they recommend a high visibility or 4WD vehicle..but then say most of their guests use regular rental cars and all have made it safely. It is located on Old tobacco Rd in Captain Cook. Is anyone familiar with it and is it a difficult drive? It looks like a beautiful location, but I'm concerned about the location. if you have any information on this BNB'S, I would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,743 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: Aloha Guest House BNB'S(84-4780 Mamalahoa Highway, Captain C

There are a lot of reviews for Aloha Guest House B&B here on TA - many mention the drive, e.g. from Jan, 2014:

"The “road” from Highway 11 up to the Aloha Guest House is “exactly 0.96 mile” (according to Lee’s directions), bumpy, rutted, twisted, and steep, but no problem for a 4-wheel drive SUV and probably also fine for a 2WD with sufficient clearance. Aloha Guest House is the last and highest place on the road, and it has a magnificent view of the coast and ocean. Lee and Svetlana said they do the drive to the highway in 7 minutes, but even on our fourth day we were taking 10 minutes, whether going up or down, so it pays to be sure everything is loaded in the vehicle before heading out on the day’s activities."

Suggest looking at the location on google maps, and working out some of the routes that you'll be driving to, especially if you're planning to stay here as a base for activities in other areas of the island.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Aloha Guest House BNB'S(84-4780 Mamalahoa Highway, Captain C

thanks for the info on the BNB. I'm not too concerned with how long it takes, just worried that we might get stuck. Do you think we would have any problem in. 2WD? Is it one of those narrow roads with steep ravines? it sounds like you're saying it's not a terrible drive as long as you don't rush??

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,743 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Aloha Guest House BNB'S(84-4780 Mamalahoa Highway, Captain C

Sorry, I haven't stayed there - what I posted is a quote from a review posted by someone else in the tripadvisor review section.

The B&B website has a good description of the road in this link - click on 'directions': http://www.alohaguesthouse.com/questions.html

It's not an area of the BI that I would choose to stay, but that's just personal preference (I also don't like the sounds of the road into it) ... but there are a lot of good reviews on TA for the B&B.

tripadvisor.ca/…REVIEWS

Edited: 04 February 2015, 11:15
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,163 posts
4. Re: Aloha Guest House BNB'S(84-4780 Mamalahoa Highway, Captain C

I'm familiar with it. The drive isn't scary but it's rough and rutted and is worse in times of heavy rain. You can certainly do it in a 2wd, it's just uncomfortable and more likely to damage the vehicle. As you probably know, you will be voiding your rental contract by driving it, which means you'll also not be insured. So if you get stuck or have any damage to the undercarriage or hit a pig (they're everywhere up there) you'll be on the hook financially.

Edited: 04 February 2015, 11:27
Kona
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Aloha Guest House BNB'S(84-4780 Mamalahoa Highway, Captain C

I can't imagine any visitor choosing to stay up Old Tobacco Road (it's actually in Honaunau mauka, not Captain Cook). The road can be driven in a 2WD - it's paved - but very badly paved. It takes forever to go up and down, and it's very narrow so when you meet another car going the opposite direction, one of you is going to have to do some tricky maneuvers to get out of the way, which can be very disconcerting in the dark when you don't know if your wheels are going to go off the edge.

It's all Kamehameha School/Bishop Estate leasehold land up there, and people with Bishop Estate agricultural leases aren't generally allowed to run B&Bs, so there's a very good chance it's not a legal B&B.

At this elevation, there is a lot of rain and overcast weather. I see they took their web site photos on a sunny day, but it's much more likely to be overcast, as that's what we like for our Kona coffee trees!

There are many, many locations in Kona that as much or more beautiful than this, and much more convenient. I would never choose this spot for a vacation - surely you can find a better option than this??

Edited: 04 February 2015, 12:23
Level Contributor
349 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Aloha Guest House BNB'S(84-4780 Mamalahoa Highway, Captain C

I agree with Wahine that it is likely to be more trouble than it's worth. If you haven't been to that area it sounds romantic, but the hassle factor of that kind of access road and location can be major.

7. Re: Aloha Guest House BNB'S(84-4780 Mamalahoa Highway, Captain C

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2016, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Captain Cook