We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best deal on rental cars fall 2016 (long term)?

Oslo
10 posts
Save Topic
The best deal on rental cars fall 2016 (long term)?

I am looking into renting at least for 90 days a small car, preferably with manual shift if possible.

What would be the best daily deal?

Better to buy a used car perhaps?

18 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,892 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best deal on rental cars fall 2016 (long term)?

You would not be able to buy a car that easily... not unless you have an American DL! Insurance coverage is complicated that way.

Check out www.discounthawaiicarrental.com for a rate. Not sure about your credit card, or insurance coverage in Norway, but when I rent in the States, my insurance coverage is only good for 30 days at a time. So, for a 90 day rental, I would have to make three separate bookings, for three different vehicles.

Oslo
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The best deal on rental cars fall 2016 (long term)?

Thanks for the advice there :-)

It seems it is quite expensive to rent a car over there......

$5000 for 3 months or more.......

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,892 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best deal on rental cars fall 2016 (long term)?

One thing to be aware of, is that when you reserve a car, that is just the rate to begin with. A lot of us play this game, where we check every week, or daily, if you have the time. When the rate drops, we rebook the car, and then cancel the preexisting reservation.

Last month I was on Maui. I rented a car for the 11 or 12 days I was there. Started at over $600.00 for that economy car. But with constant checking, and rebooking half a dozen times, I got the rate down to $317.00, more than 50% off what I started with.

And also, be aware that the Ironman competition will be happening on the Island of Hawaii during the autumn. They can run out of rental cars during that time period. And rentals are more expensive as well. And condos and hotels usually get top dollar as well!

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The best deal on rental cars fall 2016 (long term)?

Thank you again :-) Mahalo!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,453 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best deal on rental cars fall 2016 (long term)?

I donʻt believe any of the major rental companies have manual-shift cars. Theyʻre hard to find even to buy, and getting harder.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,640 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best deal on rental cars fall 2016 (long term)?

Check with Aiona car sales in Hilo. They rent used cars.

Unlike with lodging, long term car rentals,don't save you money. With the majors, you will need to break up multiple rental periods.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,007 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The best deal on rental cars fall 2016 (long term)?

I was going to add what KK said. It can make a BIG difference to break your rental period into smaller durations and play around with the dates.

Where have you checked rates so far?

As far as your purchase idea: Do check with local insurance companies to see if they will insure you with only a foreign license. I know folks who have done this before, but it wasn't real recently. Policies, laws, procedure, and interpretations of these do change over time.

You could also check with your current auto insurance (if any) to see if they will cover a car here. (Iffy, I'd guess.) Then see it the State would accept the foreign insurance.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,640 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best deal on rental cars fall 2016 (long term)?

Even if you could get insurance, this island isn't well stocked with cheap used cars that actually run. I would expect to pay $5000 for a decent running car, and I would expect it might need repairs. In addition, it's not comfortable to drive here without A/C, and you will rarely find a used car at the bottom of the price heap that has working A/C. It's one of the first things to go as a car ages here, and most can't afford to fix it.

connecticut
Level Contributor
130 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best deal on rental cars fall 2016 (long term)?

One other thing to check...in your photo you look quite young. [of course these days everyone looks young to me but that's not the issue here]. If you are 25 or younger there are additional rental costs. I'm not up to date on this but it affected my daughter when she rented on the Big Island.

As suggested above look into http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/. I have used them for years -- they seem to get the lowest prices and are very reliable.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The best deal on rental cars fall 2016 (long term)?

Thanks again. Owerwhelmed with all the good helping out vibe here. I would have to dig into it :-)

Reply to: The best deal on rental cars fall 2016 (long term)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Captain Cook