We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach 67

Ohio
10 posts
Save Topic
Beach 67

I've seen several different directions to get to "Beach 67" or "Beach 69." It is confusing due to the fact that the Pole # on the road used to be #69 and now is (per the "Revealled" book) pole #71?? When I look on Google Earth, I see a maize of roads, and it's difficult to determine what's what. Anyway, I'm trying to make sure I know where beach 67 is.

Could anyone give me reasonably accurate directions (even tenths of miles) or better yet, advise the GPS coordinates for either beach 69 or 67?

Mahalo.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach 67

step 1 put the revealed book in the trash where it belongs

step 2 drive the road to to hapuna bay state park, a road south goes to beach 69 which is now a paved road and large paved parking lot, with restrooms and very developed. you cant miss it

please do not visit it on the weekends.. as its a locals get away.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach 67

69 or Wai'alea ...

it's very simple as it's the only public beach access off the frontage road between Puako and Hapuna Beach, and it's paved and a County Beach Park now.

This is one beach where it's appreciated if you act as little like a tourist as possible ... take a look at what's going on and try to fit in. People go there to find a place that seems unresortlike and untouristy. If you go on the weekend when local families go be aware that tourists are not wanted here by a certain sector of the regulars. Weekdays are pretty quiet and a good time to go.

Watch what you leave in your car ... rental cars are targets at this beach. (and at Hapuna, but Hapuna has a lot more people). The parking lot at A-Bay is much safer from break-ins.

Mentioned in this post
Puako
Puako
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area
Hapuna Beach State...
2,108 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Ohio
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach 67

Thank you Hawaiidan and Kamaainak. Will follow your suggestions.

I've heard Maniniowali and Makalawena are C.O. beaches. Correct? Any others?

Thanks.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach 67

well, it's not something I seek out

not sure if there's an "agreement" that it's OK or whether it's that Makalawena is harder to get to and little populated.

There's a recent thread on this, try typing nude beach into the search bar.

Kehena Beach is for sure, even if it's crowded.

Take a look around at what other people are doing and judge for yourself what is cool, nothing is official about it except in the Puna Nation which makes its own rules. ;-)

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach 67

tripadvisor.com/…5815097

The thread I mentioned

sorry, left out a beach --

Manini'owali or Kua Bay used to be hard to access now anyone can get there since they paved the road and put in facilities. I would be surprised if it hasn't changed a lot due to that so if you see something written about it from before, don't assume it hasn't changed.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach 67

most Hawaiians here find it rather offensive......its not a cool thing over in Puna I am told the nude area is primairly a gay haunt.

Id ponder doing it long and hard..... as most remote beaches are the haunts of local Hawaiians. Id rent a private home witn a private back yard where you wont intrude on anybody

oregon
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach 67

I found this beach with no problem using the directions from the Revealed book. You should have no problem.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach 67

"I found this beach with no problem using the directions from the Revealed book. "

You don't need a guide book to find this beach.

Like I said, it's now a County Beach Park. It used to be called an off the beaten path beach but no longer. Actually I remember finding it 10 years ago without any special help, but at that time the road in wasn't too kind to my rental car undercarriage due to lava rocks ... that's all changed now and there's a regular parking lot, bathrooms, the whole hidden gem mystique is gone.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach 67

I miss the old beach 69. It was nice to get away, borrow (OK, steal) my older brother’s truck and go hang out there when I was supposed to be at school. It was a rougher, and less developed beach. It isn’t the kind of place one goes for the world class beach, more for the general feel and the ambiance. Growing up it was devoid of tourists, so it was easier to imagine this was what Hawaii was like prior to the agriculture and subsequent tourist booms. Now, I go and I feel like I am Las Vegas – in the sense that I see the same beach, but the world around it has changed. It’s like next months implosion of the Stardust. It was a landmark for so long and will cease to exist.

In Hawaii, something as simple as putting in facilities changes the landscape and the complexion so much. As I am sure those from So Cal can attest, when citrus groves gives way to suburbia, the same area can feel almost foreign. The hidden gems and tiny beaches and state parks that the locals can use without feeling squeezed are indeed shrinking in number and size. Mak, Kua and 69 are but a few of these. There are others still remaining, some known, others less so, but they are dwindling. It is a sign of the times and the inevitable march of colonization, our manifest destiny if you will. This inexorable, sometimes rapid, sometimes slow and minute descent into homogenization is a trade mark, and trade off for our civilization. I often wonder if those around Yosemite yearn for the days when the were not so dependent upon tourism dollars, if those near the Grand Canyon long for the peace of a mere few decades ago? If those near Yellowstone count their blessings while simultaneously bearing the burden of their curse? C’est la vie, n’est pas? The disease of development is felt across the globe and it is the generations that survive through the tumultuous times that live with the sting of the panacea, the cure all dollar. The disease knows no vaccination, no cure. It is this unstoppable advance we have seen in Hawaii and elsewhere that makes places like 69 beach accessible, also tears a bit more of the fabric that makes up the tapestry of the people of a region, shrinks space, and I hope opens the minds and hearts of those that visit to the beauty that is in that quilt work.

Good luck and happy travels!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach 67

Beautifully expressed, echolynch.

Yes, I think a lot of people have experienced the changes. Back in the mid 1970's, I was living in Mendocino CA and it was very quiet, a very real authentic village. Then Mr. Jack-in-the-box bought and refurbished the Hotel and within 5 years it had become another Carmel, none of the shops sold things that the residents needed or could afford, you couldn't park in your own town when you came in, just droves of visitors walking up and down the streets. It was sad, even though it was "progress." It had become a fake village. I left.

Hope that never happens to the Big Island.

Ten years ago, A-Bay was a very quiet natural-looking beach, my pictures show a pure crescent of beach with no structures intruding and few people, no water activities. The Royal Waikoloan was an older hotel (now the Marriott) and there were no condos in the Kolea area or the whole Waikoloa Beach Resort.

It didn't feel very developed at all, even though it had bathrooms, parking, and a shower. Now this poor little beach serves the Hilton, the Marriott, hundreds of condos, Waikoloa Village and many many other visitors and residents. The things that made it so attractive and salable are quickly disappearing. I feel bad for the locals who are losing their old friends.

I also feel bad for the visitors who simply want a beach that feels natural and uncrowded. It's still better than Maui though!

Mentioned in this post
Kolea at Waikoloa Beach Resort
Kolea at Waikoloa Beach...
251 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii