We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car needed in Waikoloa?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Car needed in Waikoloa?

Hi All,

Thanks for all your previous good advice about places to stay. Now I have a question about cars. I'm going to a conference that lasts 5 days at the Waikoloa Marriott and will be there for a total of 7 days. There will be outings planned for us with transport included, but I reserved a car just in case we want to go out on our own.

My question to you all is do you think I could do without the car? I'm thinking thats $240 I could spend elsewhere. I've been to Hilo, Volcano Park, and Up Country on previous visits and probably won't do those again on this short visit.

I do like visiting Kona (town), but wondered if that could be accomplished another way and I could cancel the car.

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

Mahalo!

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car needed in Waikoloa?

Keep the car.. 2 nights might cost you $100... plus the cab to and fro the airport you are just about at that $240. price... there is no other way into town...the bus is so unreliable.

Another thought, try priceline for your dates, you might save a little more.. I usually get cars for $10 - $15 per day for a week stay on priceline.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car needed in Waikoloa?

I concur, please keep the car. And in addition to PL try Hotwire too.

Waikoloa is a long way from anything, really. Being tied to any resort area can make a trip unnecessarily stressful.

Good luck and happy travels!

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Canada
Level Contributor
9,494 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car needed in Waikoloa?

Keep the Car !!! This is a total No Brainer. $240 is a darn good price these days. For some reason the rates have skyrocketed to upwards of $60/day $420wk for a compact. Curious situation. Some think they have shipped cars off island ...not so sure about this theory.

Re-reading your post I see you have been to the BI before??? If so I don't get your question. Perhaps you are just not familiar with Waikoloa Beach Resort area. I can not imagine functioning without a car. You will pay some hefty daily parking fees though at the Marriott.

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa Beach Resort
Waikoloa Beach Resort
291 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car needed in Waikoloa?

it is flat out crazy to not get a rental car for the full time you are here........

First....if you dont, you may not be able to get a rental, as there is a very limited availability...

You may be totaly without a car for days....or on the daily rate $100 to 175 a day....

No way....the best rates are for 7 day rentals done 1 to 3 months prior.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car needed in Waikoloa?

The only way you get by without a car, you have limo service too/from airport, you don't want to go anywhere else on your own, you have a friend that will rent the car for you & drive you where you wanna go. If you go to Kona town a couple of nights then car is a no brainer :) Double/triple check your reservations before you leave home.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
6. Re: Car needed in Waikoloa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 15:20