We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling at the Hilton

California
Level Contributor
938 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling at the Hilton

I know the Hilton is basically a family resort, but my husband and I have decided to spend a few days there as a change from our usual routine when we visit the BI. We love to snorkel and are wondering if snorkeling in that large man-made lagoon is worthwhile. Can you swim into the ocean from there, and is it safe for snorkeling?

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
475 posts
591 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling at the Hilton

If you have any experience at all the Hilton will dissapoint you for snorkeling specifically. The only pretty cool part is the turtles. My 6 year old quickly "outgrew" the snorkeling at the Hilton and yes my husband and kids did go out under the rope and snorkel in the ocean. It was perfectly safe in August. I think you find the Hilton interesting but not the hot spot for snorkeling. For that you might prefer to stay at the Mauna Lani where you can get snorkeling right off of their beach. You can feel free to ask me more in depth questions if you like.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
282 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling at the Hilton

The Hilton is really a fun experience if you've never done it before because of the waterslides, and the gorgeous grounds. Unless you are a real beginner you won't be excited about snorkeling in the lagoon though.

But there are good snorkeling spots within 15 minutes drive from the Hilton. Here are a couple examples:

Beach at Puako road; between mile marker 71 and 70 turn onto Puako road. After turning onto Puako Road take the first right, it is a paved road leading to the parking lot at Beach 69. There is a pretty big parking lot, restrooms, and a nice beach. This is only about 5 miles from Waikoloa Beach Drive.

Hwy 19: between mile marker 87 and 88: Kuki’o Beach, near the Four Seasons aka Hulalai. There is a small protected bay, there are some trees for shade, restrooms, and a long stretch of beach. The public access parking lot is small so it may fill up early; but by mid afternoon people start to leave for lunch and some spots may be available again.

Hwy 19: between mile marker 88 and 89: Kua Bay, entrance directly across from the West Hawaii Veteran’s Cemetary. There are restrooms and large parking lot. Nice sandy beach, no shade though.

Waikoloa Beach Drive is around mile marker 76 so the above beaches are 12 miles away.

We have snorkelled in the ocean off the shore near the big budha statue (at the hilton).

Mentioned in this post
Puako
Puako
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling at the Hilton

I agree with what has been said. I want to add that we really loved taking a kayak out to the rear of the lagoon and then snorkeling with multiple turtles. That was really a highlight of out time on the BI.

4. Re: Snorkeling at the Hilton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2010, 13:26
Get answers to your questions about Waikoloa