We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koloa Landing or Poipu Sands? Bug problems?

Alameda, CA
Level Contributor
332 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Koloa Landing or Poipu Sands? Bug problems?

I posted on a different forum, but thought I'd ask on the Poipu forum as well-

I will be in Poipu in April of next year and I'm trying to decide between 2 specific accommodations, both listed on the parrish collection website. Has anyone stayed at both Koloa Landing (specifically 6303) and Poipu Sands (unit #525)? If I could combine the two, I'd have the perfect place I'm looking for - Poipu sands has a nice view of Shipwreck Beach and a nice walking path to get there, a nice lanai and a decent size pool. Koloa Landing has upgraded furnishings, a great pool and more hotel amenities (bar, etc.). So I'm torn between the two. We are staying at Hanalei Bay Resort as well, so we will have the "resort experience" on the north shore.

One thing that concerns me is that I read someone's post that they had a terrible problem with roaches when they stayed at Poipu Sands. They did not say which unit they stayed at, so I don't have any idea if it was the one I am interested in, or a different one. They said it was so bad they had to check out and find somewhere else to stay. Has anyone else had this experience there? We are leaning towards the PS condo because of the ocean view, so I'd really like to know if this is a common problem with PS in general, or just a weird thing that happened with this persons unit.

Thanks so much for any input.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Koloa Landing Resort at...
2,094 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Shipwreck Beach
Shipwreck Beach
979 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hanalei Bay Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
1,923 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai: Waimea Canyon and Fern Grotto...
26 Reviews
from US$120.00*
Free Cancellation
Kauai Waimea Canyon and Wailua River
157 Reviews
from US$114.69*
Free Cancellation
Kipu Zipline Safari
46 Reviews
from US$196.87*
24 replies to this topic
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,569 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koloa Landing or Poipu Sands? Bug problems?

We've stayed at multiple properties at PS over the past 20+ years. Recently at PS #523. We've never had any issues with roaches or other bugs at PS. Sorry, we have not stayed at Koloa Landing yet. KL is a much newer property and very luxurious (we took a tour a couple if years ago)! The pool at KL is much nicer than PS!

Edited: 25 June 2017, 13:21
Mentioned in this post
2,094 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Koloa Landing or Poipu Sands? Bug problems?

You can find a review or two about bugs at any property including the most expensive resort hotels. Some are bound to occasionally slip through the cracks, literally and figuratively. No place can be 100% immune.The better hotels and condos do the best they can with regular pest control. I'd put both Poipu Sands and Koloa Landing in that category.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
2,094 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Level Contributor
619 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koloa Landing or Poipu Sands? Bug problems?

It has been a while, but we have stayed at Poipu Sands, Kahala, and Manualoha ( all Poipu Kai ) over a 12 year period as visitors, and never had a bug problem of any kind. Not even the dead ones .

This was thru Suite Paradise, but Parish has an excellent reptuation. You might call them and honestly voice your concerns.

For nearly 10 years we lived on kauai as full time residents, , 7 years at Banyan Harbor, and we saw a cock roach very, very infrequently and usually they were on their last legs, from the externinators, and not running anywhere, as the complex sprayed the entire resort on a scheduled basis monthly inside and out.

some things that we practiced......one was to keep the place clean, and eat at the dinning room table, and not feeding ourselves through out the house. sometimes, as visitors at poipu kai, we would eat on the lanai, and many nights had dinner on the lanai at banyan harbor. NO roach problems.

another was NOT to bring home card board boxes from Costco, or any market. Roach hotels.

Also, we did not eat in the car, we just do not do that , anyplace, ever.

We keep a very, very clean and tidy residence, Actually Erica would super clean the entire condo every saturday, until she was injured in an auto accident, and then we had the banyan harbor condo cleaned professionally by one of the usual cleaning staff every two weeks, who moonlighted. Daily Erica was able to do the normal light weight cleaning during the week.

Now since moving back to the mainland, Dana Point, Ca., we practice the same program with keeping a clean house all of the time, and topping that off every saturday Erica spends about 4 to 5 hours cleaning the condo . Probably better than a professional. I wash and detail the car, and run market erands, etc. Then, we go out for dinner which is our saturday night date night and spoil ourselves properly..

Point being, at Poipu Sands, or any place on Kauai, we did not have a roach problem. As to vacation condos we could not control others who were staying there....but still no problems at poipu kai.

And, as mentioned, Koloa Landing and Poipu Sands are very different properties. Poipu Sands is single and two story units, and older but great for our style.

Koloa Landing is a mega story complex of monoliths, with new furnishings, Poipu Sands is next to Shipwreck Beach and the Hyatt, not really a swimming beach, but has , what we found, was a quiet swimming pool.......

Koloa landing, you can walk down to the beach at the Sheraton, or a very short drive to poipu beach. Both are swimable beaches with snorkeling at poipu beach park. The pool at Koloa Landing is newer and nicer than Poipu Sands, as was already posted.

The choice of where to stay is totally up to what feels best for you and your family.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Suite Paradise
Suite Paradise
527 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
2,094 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Shipwreck Beach
Shipwreck Beach
979 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
40,406 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koloa Landing or Poipu Sands? Bug problems?

The lady who posted that comment about the roaches in her PS rental wrote about it here in our forum last year. I think it isn't a common occurrence and it was more the way the rental agency handled the issue vs the infestation.

California
Level Contributor
7,368 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koloa Landing or Poipu Sands? Bug problems?

Although I love the new Koloa Landing and have another return trip planned, don't let reviews about bugs at Poipu Sands sway your pick. Every hotel or resort (and rental car!) in Hawaii has bugs. It's an on-going issue for every resort simply because your in the tropics.

Any property that tells you it's bug free is lying, they all have bug spraying schedules in place and sometimes they still appear no matter what.

Mentioned in this post
2,094 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
West Coast USA
Level Contributor
84 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koloa Landing or Poipu Sands? Bug problems?

Have been at Poipu Sands since Tuesday. No issues. They did spray the grounds on Friday. Praying mantis and cane spider outside. None inside.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,455 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koloa Landing or Poipu Sands? Bug problems?

Roaches love Kaua‘i (and Hawai‘i) just as much as we do. And why not, it's the tropics and livin' is easy. People are usually the cause of roaches inside. Put all food away, in Ziplocks if not in the fridge and empty the trash. But occasionally those big flying buggahs come in anyway.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Koloa Landing or Poipu Sands? Bug problems?

" People are usually the cause of roaches inside"

What 3chis said here cannot be stressed enough. Roaches and ants are critters of opportunity. They're just waiting for a reason to come inside and will do that for a good meal. Keep crumbs and other food stuff off the counters and floors. Like 3chis said, put all food away and into the fridge, even food that you normally wouldn't put refrigerate. Scrub down sinks and rinse down all food stuff. Here's a big problem that most people don't think about.... dishwashers. They're wet, warm and can have food in them. And believe it or not roaches can get in there if they want if not snapped shut. I routinely run my dishwasher on hot while empty just to sanitize it. Okay, maybe I'll a little obsessive but I don't have roach problems.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
433 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Koloa Landing or Poipu Sands? Bug problems?

Well that is interesting. We have been to Kauai 8 times. 4 of them we stayed at Poipu Sands. Our last visit was February/March of this year and we did find cockroaches....And they were huge. Our property management company was very responsive and offered to spray but we didnt really want that done while we were staying there - they also refunded our cleaning fee so we have absolutely no complaints there. I wonder if it's due to the construction next door? I will say that we have never found a bug in any of the units we've stayed in up until this year. I love this complex and really don't want a bug issue to change my opinion, but....

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
40,406 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koloa Landing or Poipu Sands? Bug problems?

Surrounding construction can have a lot to do with bugs too. It stirs them up and they go looking for food and water because you disturbed them.

So chicharlie what did you do? Stay with the roach problem? Be moved to another unit? If you asked to be put in a hotel while they sprayed, should you be compensated? Refunding the cleaning is very least they should do.

Most complexes have a spraying schedule and some include interiors, but if the bug company can't get into a unit for a very long time, those crumbs and poor cleaning that lead up to this major problem. Like I have stressed, bugs happen. Its not uncommon to see a few. Its how the owner/management company handles the problem. Don't freak out over a few. They are there but if you see a real problem, tackle it head on.

Reply to: Koloa Landing or Poipu Sands? Bug problems?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted