We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time staying in Poipu area - tell me what you love!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,154 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
First time staying in Poipu area - tell me what you love!

Aloha! Yes, this northshore lover is doing my first Kauai winter vacation, arriving in late January. :) I will be staying on the northshore for a few days, but will have 8 full days in Poipu that first week in February. Yes, I have the 3 main Kauai guidebooks, and use the forum frequently. While I have breezed thru Poipu (via the tree tunnel) - I have eaten at Tidepools and Keoki's Paradise a couple of times, explored some of the shops & seen Spouting horn, I really have not spent much time in Poipu at all. I would love to hear about some of your favorite things to do and favorite places to eat, beaches to hang out on, snorkeling spots not to be missed, boat fishing opportunities etc. Yes - I will be rereading my guidebooks, focusing on learning more about the Poipu area, but I really think nothing is a good as recommendations from people that love a particular area. So feel free to share any of these tidbits. To be truthful, it almost feels like an entirely new vacation destination though I have been to Kauai several times, and I am very excited about it though it is months away. Mahalo! :)

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Tidepools
Tidepools
1,976 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Keoki's Paradise
Keoki's Paradise
4,596 Reviews
Kauai, HI
61 replies to this topic
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: First time staying in Poipu area - tell me what you love!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

For those folks who want to see the impact on the coastline the new multimillion dollar subdivision is having.....this has a good map that shows you the topography....and the trail that we were discussing earlier.

http://makahuenaestates.com/the-project/

Malama Pono,

Janet

Edited: 06 December 2017, 08:42
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: First time staying in Poipu area - tell me what you love!

Thanks for all the info Janet! :)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: First time staying in Poipu area - tell me what you love!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

No worries!

Since I'm off my feet a lot these days, and after surgery won't be back at work for 6 weeks - I am guessing I will be bothering folks here a lot more in the near future! LOL

I hate seeing the coastline being built up even though we all knew it was coming.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
434 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: First time staying in Poipu area - tell me what you love!

Awesome information for our first visit to Kauai in August. We will be staying at Koloa Landing. So excited!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Surrey
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: First time staying in Poipu area - tell me what you love!

Which ATV outfitter do you prefer, Kauai, or Kipu and which tour did you prefer and why. Im headed there in September with an 16 and 18 year old boys. Thank you in advance.

Louisa

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
56. Re: First time staying in Poipu area - tell me what you love!

We have done the Kipu ranch twice. I cannot remember exactly which tours we did with them, but both were excellent. Got to see scenes from Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, etc. Swim in a waterfall. Lunch. Amazing scenery. Rope swing. The first time we went it was very muddy and wet...so much fun, but wear old clothes/shoes as the red mud stains. Second time, was dusty and dry. Still lots of fun!

California
Level Contributor
39,668 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: First time staying in Poipu area - tell me what you love!

I thought they stopped the rope swing. Anyone been the last year where the rope swing was still up?

Troutdale, Oregon
Level Contributor
407 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: First time staying in Poipu area - tell me what you love!

I follow #kauai on IG, and thought I recently saw a rope swing. Just checked their Instagram page and other #s, and it does show the rope swing being used. I’ve never been on the excursion... was this a problem?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
59. Re: First time staying in Poipu area - tell me what you love!

Raider, if it's the rope swing at Kipu Falls that has been closed to the public for a few years now. Problem? Yes, a few deaths and many injuries. Probably were old photos on Instagram.

Troutdale, Oregon
Level Contributor
407 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: First time staying in Poipu area - tell me what you love!

They were recent pics, but not near any falls that I could tell just into a river?

Reply to: First time staying in Poipu area - tell me what you love!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted