We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu accommodations Sept 2018

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Poipu accommodations Sept 2018

My husband and I are planning to visit Kauai early September 2018. We plan to split our 2 weeks between Poipu and Princeville. I have researched this forum extensively and compiled a list of places I am interested in but struggling to make a decision. The Hyatt looks beautiful but not sure it’s what we are looking for… We are there for the beach, not the pool or lagoon and love a more adult atmosphere. I fell in love with Koa Kea which receives wonderful reviews until you start reading the forum and then I start questioning it. I read that Koloa Landing should be avoided due to crowds around sunset. I read that Poipu Palms and Poipu Makai were good choices due to an “elevated view” for this area. Poipu Palms 201, 101, and 303 are available for our nights. How does this complex compare to Kiahuna Plantation? I also just discovered Poipu Kapilia which looks gorgeous! I might also mention we are planning to run the Kauai half marathon that weekend and then move on to HBR and end at the St Regis for some pampering. :)

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
2,347 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Koloa Landing Resort at...
2,089 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
1,856 Reviews
Kauai, HI
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
403 Reviews
Kauai, HI
St. Regis Princeville Resort
St. Regis Princeville...
3,050 Reviews
Kauai, HI
16 replies to this topic
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,532 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Poipu accommodations Sept 2018

<<Koloa Landing Sunset Wall.>>

I'll be at Koloa Landing next Monday. But I've been on the property and there is no "Koloa Landing Sunset Wall" that I'm aware of. There is a "sunset wall" on Hoonani Road which is the road in front of Poipu Kapili. Koloa Landing is NOT oceanfront, but sits behind Poipu Kaplili and houses along Hoonani Road.

Edited: 13 November 2017, 01:51
Mentioned in this post
2,089 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu Kapili
Poipu Kapili
393 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Poipu accommodations Sept 2018

I know exactly what you mean. Obviously what I read was incorrect. I was not familiar enough with the area to realize what I read was not accurate. That’s why I’m thankful for this forum and appreciate your responses.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Poipu accommodations Sept 2018

It’s interesting that Koloa Landings website mentions the “Koloa Landing Sunset Wall,” referring to it as being across the street but still on their property. I totally understand your point, just know that I am not crazy. :)

Mentioned in this post
2,089 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,532 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Poipu accommodations Sept 2018

p.s. The Koloa Landing resort is named after the Koloa Landing dive area just off of Hoonani Road. It's a rocky beach that many dive companies use to access the water and is at the end of Waikomo Streams and across the mouth of the stream from Whaler's Cove. There is a lava roack wall ON Hoonani Road that overlooks Koloa Landing beach which has a great view of the sunset. My understanding (and I'll know for sure next week) is that the resort has a walk way from behind Buildling 6 down to Hoonani Road. This is not on the resort itself. That lava rock wall goes from Koloa Landing beach all the way to the Kapili Road (with a few breaks). It's a very popular place for locals and tourists to watch the sunset.

Mentioned in this post
2,089 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu Kapili
Poipu Kapili
393 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,532 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Poipu accommodations Sept 2018

Just an update to the OP. We are at Koloa Landing this week. We just walked the entire property and as I suspected, the "Koloa Landing Sunset Wall" is definitely ON Hoonani Road NOT on the Koloa Panding Property. The main pool goes down the middle of the property and ends ~ 100 yards from Hoonani Road. They have carved out a foot path between the houses to walk from the main pool down to Hoonani Road. The lava rock wall is across the street. This section of Hoonani Road has been a gathering place to watch the sunset for many years.

Mentioned in this post
2,089 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Poipu accommodations Sept 2018

Thank you for the update! Looking forward to our trip in September so we can see this beautiful island in person!!!

Reply to: Poipu accommodations Sept 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted