We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko'a Kea or Grand Hyatt

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
170 posts
2 reviews
Ko'a Kea or Grand Hyatt

Hello -

Which hotel do you think would be better for a 4 day honeymoon stay? Pro/cons of each? Does one have better ocean views from the rooms than the other? How about location? I've read the Hyatt is the starting point for some trails and lighthouse beach, etc.. I've also heard Ko'a Kea is more romantic (I'm assuming the difference is just because there are less kids at Ko'a Kea than the Hyatt). Is one a better quality than the other in terms of rooms, pools, etc.? Would appreciate your thoughts!

13 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
41,451 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Ko'a Kea or Grand Hyatt

Koa Kea is known as the place to stay for honeymooners etc, but I love The Hyatt. Koa Kea is an older hotel destroyed in the hurricane and redone so it still has that "motely" look but upgraded. Service is supposed to be very good. Yes it has less kids because the pool is small and it has that boutiquey feel. If you can get an oceanview at Koa Kea I think that would be nice. Hyatt just has beautiful grounds, lots of restaurants and an adult only pool. Rent a cabana for the day. Depending on the time of year, I would always choose Hyatt but its not my honeymoon.

Kalaheo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
92 reviews
2. Re: Ko'a Kea or Grand Hyatt

We have stayed a both several times, and I would give a slight nod to Koa Kea for a honeymoon stay. The biggest differentiator between the two for me is the service level - staff at Koa Kea goes above and beyond to make sure everything ok for you, will know your name and preferences after the first day but yet knows when to stay out of your way. Service at the Hyatt is not bad, but with that large a property it isn't of the same level.

Other pros and cons of the two:

Koa Kea's oceanfront rooms are literally oceanfront. You will smell the salt and hear the waves your entire stay. The Hyatt is set a little further back from the ocean, so not quite as dramatic.

Koa Kea has a more central location, with more walkable restaurants and shops if you don't want to get in the car. It is also right next to a swimmable beach, while the Hyatt is a 10-15 minute walk. The Hyatt does offer more restaurants and bars on property.

The Hyatt grounds and services are lovely. Easy access to golf or tennis if you are interested, and a large and well equipped spa. Start of the Mahaulepa Heritage trail is adjacent to the property, nice scenic hike that isn't too challenging.

If you like pools the Hyatt wins easily. Big pool with a water slide and lazy river, smaller adult pool and the gorgeous salt water lagoon with a sand bottom that is great for both kids and adults. The area has never felt overcrowded to us, but we usually travel in the off season when things are busier. Koa Kea does have nicer and more comfy pool chairs, and the lava rock hot tub is beautiful.

Koa Kea has a more adult atmosphere, you don't see many kids at the property. We don't have kids, and that is wht we gravitated toward Koa Kea on our later trips. Just quieter and more laid back. Plus we got addicted to the sushi they serve at the bar most evenings.

I think both properties offer a great stay, but for a honeymoon the smaller footprint and personalized service at Koa Kea might be a little better suited.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: Ko'a Kea or Grand Hyatt

I believe you are coming in September, and I would seriously look at staying on the northshore for your short time. :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
170 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Ko'a Kea or Grand Hyatt

Thanks! We are actually booked in the North Shore, but starting to reconsider the north shore versus south shore as a few things we wanted to do in the north shore are either still closed (hiking trails) or relocated (napali kayak trips) to leaving from the west side of the island. We are planning a fishing trip out of port Allen for one day and as we only have four days total I was starting to think being south would be closer to more activities. Appreciate any input on that as well though too.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,990 posts
1 review
5. Re: Ko'a Kea or Grand Hyatt

The only reason Koa Kea is known as a honeymooners place is because it's not geared towards families - not in price, not in size of rooms, not in amenities. When this was a lower-priced hotel way back before the hurricane and rebuilt it was THE family hotel in Poipu. They jazzed it up with an updated look, raised the price, put in one great restaurant, Red Salt, dubbed it a "boutique" hotel and the honeymooners flock to it.

The Grand Hyatt covers a lot of beautiful acres and has a lot of places where you can get away from the other guests and find a romantic spot of your own whether it be walking the beautiful grounds, sitting in the waterfront swings, a nook in the saltwater lagoon, or a private dinner oceanfront. Sure, there are families there but there's active spots and quiet spots and room for everyone.

The Koa Kea is a quick walk to the swimming beach which the Hyatt doesn't have but most people find the Hyatt still offers what they can't get elsewhere.

Edited: 28 June 2018, 04:26
6. Re: Ko'a Kea or Grand Hyatt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2018, 19:18

California
Level Contributor
41,451 posts
130 reviews
7. Re: Ko'a Kea or Grand Hyatt

Please no soliciting Gabriel.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Ko'a Kea or Grand Hyatt

We visit Kauai every year and ALWAYS end our trip at the Hyatt for 2-3 nights. Granted we have been married 32 years, but we find the Hyatt a magical place to stay. So much to do and see. So many pools to enjoy, and the staff just couldn't be more gracious. Make sure to take in the free live music nightly at the Seaview Terrace. Enjoy!

United States
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Ko'a Kea or Grand Hyatt

We stayed at Koa Kea last June. Do yourself a favor...stay elsewhere. It is way overpriced for the property. Rooms are tiny and nothing special. (Walls are thin...yup heard our neighbor walk into something in the middle of the night and listened to him cuss about it for a long time after) There is zero privacy on the balcony for the rooms either. Every morning we actually said "Good Morning" to our neighbors (from the room next door)...on the balcony. There is no beach actually in front of this property either. Pics are deceiving. It is fronted by large black rocks. You will end up in front of the properties on either side of it for sandy beach use. If you are pool people the one pool is tiny as well.

This property was not worth the money. Strongly consider the other suggestions.

Good luck....

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
10. Re: Ko'a Kea or Grand Hyatt

We are on our honeymoon at GH. Its absolutely breathtaking. Kids aren’t bad at all. There is an adult only pool. They greet you with beautiful flower leis and provide you with a reusable water bottle in which they have water fill stations everywhere. The bathroom is too notch and they have a bidet!! Haha. You won’t be disappointed!

Reply to: Ko'a Kea or Grand Hyatt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted