We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Kauai and Big Island

Niskayuna, NY
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Kauai and Big Island

We are looking for places to stay in Kauai and Big Island....prefer to stay on the beach....everything I have looked at are large complexes....would prefer smaller property or hotel....just 2 of us. Would like quiet place with pools....we stayed at Caneel Bay, VI and loved it....so gives you a flavor of what we like

Thanks

Bernie

bernice_dunn@yahoo.com

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
40,640 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Kauai and Big Island

For the BI you might want to post on their forum, but have you checked out Koa Kea Hotel in Poipu? This a boutique style hotel on the beach. Kauai is nothing like VI so you might not get all that you want.

http://www.koakea.com/

As far as a condo look at Whaler's Cove. It's not on the beach but right on the water. There aren't many complexes ON the beach. Kiahuna Plantation is one, but it is very large.

Mentioned in this post
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
2,373 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
1,865 Reviews
Kauai, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,992 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Kauai and Big Island

So how long are you staying and what is your budget? If you are looking for VI you will not find it in Hawaii! Suggest getting the book "Hawaii for Dummies" yeah, I know, sorry title but great book for first timers.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Kauai and Big Island

We really liked the Outrigger Keahou on the Big Island. Not farmiliar with Caneel Bay so can't compare.

When are you going? How long are you staying? What's your budget per night?

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,652 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Kauai and Big Island

I'm sorry, Caneel Bay means nothing to me as a reference. Please do post on the Island of Hawai'i forum, with a budget.

Most "complexes" built recently are fairly substantial. Development cost a lot on the Big Island, so thinking small is rare. You might look at the Puako area, and if you can afford it, the Waialea Bay (aka Beach 69) area has lovely but pricey rentals just a walk down to the beach.

Keauhou Outrigger, as suggested, is a nice budget to moderate hotel option. I don't care for that beach's sand, but for snorkeling it's great. For a higher budget, the Mauna Lani Hotel and Mauna Kea Beach Resort are lovely.

Very few condos are built on the beach on the Big island. The hotels got all the fine beaches where development was approved. You could look at Hali'i Kai for an oceanfront complex that is NEAR beaches. Has a really pretty pool.

You said pools. You need plural? I have to warn you that any place with more than one pool is almost certainly a kid magnet. The quiet hotels tend to have simple pools here -- except for the Four Seasons.

I forgot to mention Kona Village Resort. If you can afford it, it's paradise.

Check out www.davidskvr.net to take a look. Unique in Hawai'i.

Mentioned in this post
Puako
Puako
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,644 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Kauai and Big Island

dunnbv,

I was looking at the BI for next summer. I found a 2 bedroom, ocean front condo for less than $200/night on VRBO. The owner was referred to me by a Destination Expert on the Kauai forum. I spoke to the owner a couple of months ago and he was very nice. I have not finalized my plans (still not sure if we want to go to the BI) but I will send you his contact information. The condo is in the Kailua-Kona area and the pictures look fabulous. My notes are on my desk at work and I cannot recall the name of the complex right now. I'll send you the information in the morning and you can make up your own mind but it's my 1st choice if we go to the BI.

As much as I would love to stay at Kona Village resort, I am not willing to spend $900/night for my family of 4. They include meals and we just don't eat enough to make it worth the price. They did not have a price that did not include meals and we prefer to have more flexibiility and healthier options than most resorts can offer.

Also, I know Poipu very well. Koa Kea is a fabulous, smaller property in Poipu. Have you considered a condo?

Marti

Edited: 07 September 2010, 12:41
Mentioned in this post
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
405 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
2,373 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,652 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Kauai and Big Island

OK, I have now remedied some of my ignorance and taken a look at Caneel Bay. I sure wish we had bays like that here. That's my kind of water.

From the photos, you would like the Mauna Kea Beach Resort, and for less money and a hotel that needs a refresh, you could look at the sister resort, the Hapuna Prince.

Some images for you:

Kaunaoa beach at MKR

traveltohawaiireviewed.com/image_attraction/…

traveltohawaiireviewed.com/image_attraction/…

http://www.konarentals.net/resources/bmk.JPG

Hapuna beach

…wordpress.com/2009/06/ehapuna-beach-from-th…

destination360.com/north-america/us/hawaii/b…

http://www.bigisland.org/images/128.jpg

Mauna Lani

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

…flickr.com/2626/3714828828_0ee612353d.jpg

www.best4hawaii.com/images/mauna_lani.jpg

Waialea Bay

hawaiigaga.com/Images/…wailea-bay-s2.jpg

Here is someone's Flickr page with numerous images of it:

flickriver.com/photos/…

All of these beaches are calmer from May to October, and are subject to occasional northwest swells in winter months that result in more of this look:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS1ii343fl0&NR=1

or this

www.youtube.com/watch…

Kailua Kona beaches:

King Kam, the one real swimming beach

…tripadvisor.com/media/…caption.jpg

coastline at Royal Kona Resort, Hale Kona Kai

www.best4hawaii.com/images/royal_kona.jpg

another condo area

free-rentals.com/united-states/…5362_4.jpg

Kona Reef, note sand patch type beach

konareefcondoa33.com/images/kona_reef_ariel_…

and here is the gem of Kailua-Kona, Kahalu'u beach park:

islandview360.net/78-7037%20Ola%20Mau/78-703…

http://www.konarentals.net/resources/bkahaluu(1).jpg

hawaiiweb.com/hawaii/…Kahaluu_Beach_Park1.JPG

Edited: 07 September 2010, 13:55
Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
3,268 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kahalu'u Beach Park
Kahalu'u Beach Park
345 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,652 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Kauai and Big Island

in reply to martik's post:

about KVR:

>>> As much as I would love to stay at Kona Village resort, I am not willing to spend $900/night for my family of 4. They include meals and we just don't eat enough to make it worth the price. They did not have a price that did not include meals and we prefer to have more flexibiility and healthier options than most resorts can offer.

Actually they have a breakfast plan only, and I know some of their plans are more in the 500's, but I totally agree it is expensive. That's why I always preface with "if you can afford it."

Now when you say you prefer healthier options, I must disagree and base this on having eaten at KVR, the lunch, on two occasions. It is an extremely healthy offering. There is something for everyone, including the health-conscious. It's not like typical resort fare, except that the dessert spread is awesome -- but that is at a separate table and can be ignored.

Kailua-Kona has a lot of ocean front condos, and most of them are old and so relatively affordable. If refurbished inside, they can be really nice. You can have wonderful ocean views. Can you go swimming anywhere nearby? No, not really. The swimming and beaches are north of town and in Kohala.

You can see the K-K oceanfront in the images I linked.

Kailua-Kona oceanfront is along Ali'i Drive, the busiest strip of road on the island, so parts of it are quite noisy, except for the few parts where the road is in from the shoreline a bit more. If the bedrooms are on the ocean, the surf noise will drown out the car noise, or so I'm told, but it is not what you'd call quiet there. Whereas many places in Kohala are lovely and tranquil.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,215 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Ali'i Drive
Ali'i Drive
776 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,644 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Kauai and Big Island

<<Actually they have a breakfast plan only, and I know some of their plans are more in the 500's>>

When I inquired about a possible stay last summer, they never mentioned the breakfast only option. We prefer to eat out a few times and then cook our own meals. We also prefer our own breakfast. My husband is an extremely healthy eater and places that include food usually price it for those you like to eat "their money's worth". It would be nice if they had a rate just for the room. I for one like a very light, basic breakfast. I also find that places that offer breakfast close too early for me and my children (hubby is the only early riser in our family).

California
Level Contributor
40,640 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Kauai and Big Island

I second KK's opinion on Hapuna Beach Hotel. I love that beach and my dearest friend calls it her home away from home every Xmas and she could go anywhere and spend any amount of money on the BI .

This is the condo Martik spoke about. I have never stayed there, but its owned by someone I know which is why I referred it to her. I have no idea the area so maybe KK can help us there.

summitpacificinc.com/kanaloa-at-kona-3405.ht…

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,644 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Kauai and Big Island

Thanks, jebett! I was looking all morning for my notes and then realized it was on Summit Pacific's website. I spoke to Steve and he was very nice.