We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo vs. Hotel on Kauai

san francisco
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Condo vs. Hotel on Kauai

Hi,

Thinking of taking my girlfriend to Kauai in May and starting to feel that the Poipu area might be a good choice for us, Even though I have been eyeing some other really nice looking properties such as the Westin in Princeville. I have been to Kauai before and stayed at the Grand Hyatt with my family years ago and loved it. I would like to stay at the Hyatt but it's not in the budget for us on this trip. The last time we came to Hawaii we stayed on Maui at the ResortQuest Kaanapali Shores which I believe is now managed by Aston. We had a great time and we're really pleased with our unit there. So far, I have been looking at the Sheraton and Kiahuna Plantation. Is it better to stay in a resort on a quiet island like this so that there might be a little action and we can just walk back to our room after drinks? or is it better to rent a condo at the Kiahuna Plantation? Is one more attractive than the other? I am a big beach person by the way. Not sure if one pool tops the other either. so confused. From what I have read on the forums here, if at the Sheraton, you need to have at least an oceanview to have one of the refurbished units. Out of curiosity, would "partial oceanview" qualify or would we still be in the back of the property with the unrefurbed units. very confused... Anyways, any help is much appreciated. :)

Mahalo,

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,627 Reviews
Maui, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,877 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
1,865 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo vs. Hotel on Kauai

We like the Kiahuna Plantation which is next to the Sheraton. The KP is within easy walking distance to the Sheraton bar and restaurant and to the Plantation Garden restaurant/bar on the KP property as well as to the shopping center across the street where you'll find Roy's and Keoki's.

We stayed in a partial oceanview at the Sheraton quite a few years ago, and it was very nice--not in the back. I like the pool at the Sheraton better but rarely use the pool so it's not important to me. The pool at KP is across the street by the tennis courts.

You'll have a great beach at either location, but the grounds at KP are gorgeous, and I prefer having a kitchen where I can make a quick breakfast or lunch.

Hope this helps a little.

Mentioned in this post
1,865 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,615 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo vs. Hotel on Kauai

Since you say you're a big beach person you should know that Kiahuna Plantation and the Sheraton share the same beach and are right next to each other. Plus, as 22kauai said, you'd have the amenities of the Sheraton (restaurant, bar) right there in walking distance if you stayed at Kiahuna.

I don't think you will go wrong with either. With boys you would also have other restaurants within walking distance - Keoki's with it's restaurant and bar area , Plantation Gardens and other places at Kiahuna shopping village and the new Kukuiula Village.

It sounds like an ocenview is important to you so if you choose Kiahuna be prepared to pay for more than the gardenview category. The grounds there are large, beautifully landscaped with lush tropical greenery, and a very peaceful place.

Mentioned in this post
1,865 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,615 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo vs. Hotel on Kauai

Meant to say " with BOTH you would have restaurants in walking distance..."

san francisco
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo vs. Hotel on Kauai

Thanks for the quick replies 22kauai and Napaguy.

22Kauai - Good point about the amenities. We definitely need a good restaurant or bar nearby. I also think that's a good point about having a kitchen, especially on a fairly quiet island where you probably would be spending a good amount of time in your unit at night.

Napaguy - Although I would love an oceanview, it isn't necessarily the highest priority to me. Cleanliness and updated decor are a little more important for us. The reason why I was thinking about the partial oceanview at the Sheraton, was because people had mentioned here on the forums that the updated rooms at the Sheraton are the ones with an oceanview. A funny story - When I took my grilfriend to Aruba, I was awoken in the middle of the night to a high pitched scream as my girlfriend flew across the room because she saw a baby gecko in our bathroom. It was the most hilarious thing. Anyways, I know it's hard to avoid that in the tropics, but the cleanliness helps big time!

I can't wait to see the area again. I really don't remember much from my last visit there years ago other than kayaking which was amazing, because my family never left the Hyatt. It was truly an amazing place, but my nephew nearly drowned at the beach there. That was the only downside.

Thanks again,

Rob

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,615 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo vs. Hotel on Kauai

Rob, here is a link to a great thread about the Sheraton. Pay particular attention to Koloagirl's posts in which she gives some links to rooms at the Sheraton. You'll see the gardenview building interiors have in fact been updated and are quite nice. They didn't receive the fanfare that the oceanfront buildings received when they were renovated because that was a complete rebuild, from the ground up (after the last hurricane). So look over this thread and the pictures provided by Koloagirl and her commentaries:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k39016…

Since you say oceanview isn't top priority there are some great gardenview units at Kiahuna also. Outrigger is posting some very good deals right now but I think it's better to go with an owner or agency where you can pick the exact unit you want. Parrish Kauai is a large south shore agent with offices right there in Poipu and they have units at Kiahuna with great locations...

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/kiahuna-planta…

Dont go entirely by the posted rack rates.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,615 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo vs. Hotel on Kauai

"I can't wait to see the area again. I really don't remember much from my last visit there years ago other than kayaking which was amazing, because my family never left the Hyatt. It was truly an amazing place, but my nephew nearly drowned at the beach there. That was the only downside. "

Forgot to comment on your stories! I can completely understand what happened at Shipwreck Beach. It CAN get pretty gnarly there. On the gecko story........geckos are good; they eat the less appetizing insects. Your girlfriend was lucky she saw a gecko instead of a roach. A few more geckos and she'll actually grow to liking them and find something cute about them!

On pools..... the Sheraton pool is not a mega pool by any means but it's nice and it's oceanfront. The Kiahuna pool is not right there; it's across Poipu Road in the tennis club. Just to warn you if pools are important to you. Most "Kiahuners" are there because of the beach.

Edited: 15 September 2010, 08:15
Mentioned in this post
Shipwreck Beach
Shipwreck Beach
994 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo vs. Hotel on Kauai

A few other things to note about the Sheraton - there are actually two pools on the property. One is the oceanfront pool, which can get a bit crowded during the day, and a more quiet pool on the garden side of the hotel. Both pools are nice, but certainly nothing compared to the pools at the Hyatt. The beach at this location is hard to beat though, so you won't go wrong with either the Sheraton or Kiahuna. One major advantage with Kiahuna is that the unit will be more spacious and you will have a kitchen. Even if you don't cook on your vacation, it's really nice to be able to stock up on some basic groceries to make a simple breakfast and lunch. It's also nice to have the living space when you come back to your unit in the evening. Condos aren't for everyone though. If you want to be pampered even in the slightest way, you won't find it at a condo. A condo is really geared more for independent travellers who want the space and privacy. Hotels are geared more for those who want some amenities, such as room service, housekeeping, etc.

Oxnard, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo vs. Hotel on Kauai

The parking is another factor to consider when making your decision. At KP you can park right in front of your condo. Most hotels it is a fairly long walk from the self-parking or you pay extra for valet. However, I have never stayed at the Sheraton and maybe someone else can comment on their parking options.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo vs. Hotel on Kauai

I have nothing to say about your acomodations choice...but a guest gecko is much more welcome that a roach anyday...we had a couple of cute gecko visitors while we were in Maui...no biggie...they are cute little buggers...but we did help them get back outside... :) make sure you post a TR wehn you return...would love to visit Kauai soon!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
san francisco
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo vs. Hotel on Kauai

WOW! They still both sound so great. I have to stand corrected about something though. I said gecko....I think it may have been a baby iguana. lol

Napaguy - yeah, i did come across that link this weekend amongst a couple thousand different posts. lol. Thanks for pointing it out again. Not sure what to make of the Outrigger and Castle units. The reviews swing back and forth so much it gets confuzing. I like VRBO. I've used it before planning other trips.

Jam1961 - Interesting point about the pools and the unit being more spacious. Definitely a plus. I think I need to speak to my girlfriend about the preference. I know I'm all about the beach. At least the pool still looks pretty nice at the KP.

mr21vp - yeah i read just read another post today where someone mentioned about parking right in front of their unit at the KP. sounds like good savings and very convenient. I don't know if they charge or not at the Sheraton for parking but if they do, I could see why some reviewers said they felt nickled and dimed to death.

ColoradoMickeymoo - you are so right about that. i would rather see a baby gecko or iguana any day vs. a roach.... and if she were to see one. Oh my, i don't even want to think about it. I know this can't be avoided but I'll just hope for the best. :)

I thinking I am leaning towards the Kiahuna Plantation, but when I go back and look at the Sheraton, I keep getting sucked in. Those rooms do look very nice too. I am also thinking another advantage to KP would probably be savings. You all have very good insight and some really good points. Thanks so much.

Rob

Mentioned in this post
1,865 Reviews
Kauai, HI