We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there uber in Kauai?

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
Is there uber in Kauai?

Hello,

It's our second time in Kauai, but this time we are traveling without kids. So we will be staying in Sheraton resort and don't plan to travel around the island. We just booked Napali coast sunset cruise, so I wonder how can we get to harbor without renting the car.

Is there uber in Kauai?

Is the taxi expensive to get around Poipu area and near by?

Thank you

50 replies to this topic
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,673 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there uber in Kauai?

No uber and taxis are terribly expensive. How do you plan to get from/to the airport? With the cost you'll incur on a cab, you might as well rent a car.

Most of us use Discount Hawaii Car Rental or Costco (if you are a member)

Edited: 26 July 2015, 01:31
California
Level Contributor
40,664 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there uber in Kauai?

I see you are from SF and boy we get used to Uber, don't we?

No Uber, but you will easily get cabs when you are at The Sheraton. When I stayed there I saw one parked across the street a lot or the front desk will call them for you.

Even though you think you aren't going to be leaving the Sheraton very much, and what a shame because Kauai is much more than that hotel, rental cars are easy to book and I don't think are that pricey. I just got a week for my son the end of August for $200. That would be a few round trips in a taxi.

Hawaii
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there uber in Kauai?

Hi Galina, have you taken your trip yet? We plan on doing the same- except staying at the kauai beach resort. We are trying to figure out the best way to get to the dinner cruise. I was looking for Uber & saw your post. We could rent a car for the day but we plan on having a few beverages on the cruise and do not want to drive ourselves back. Would love to know how you got there. Thanks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,143 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there uber in Kauai?

Probably a cab or shuttle, if they didn't rent a car.

I don't think there are ubers on Kauai. Even on islands with uber, comparisons with taxis aren't favorable to uber.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there uber in Kauai?

Your only option to get to Port Allen is a cab. You should check with the hotel concierge to see if there might be another party doing the same or a larger group getting van transportation. If they have extra room they might be willing to squeeze you in and share the ride.

At the Sheraton you're in a good spot for being able to walk to restaurants and beaches. If your only trip outside of that area is to the boat harbor you should be okay but know you won't see the best of what the island has to offer for sightseeing. Cabs are indeed expensive. Most people find that big cab fares total up to more than a car rental. As already said, just the cost of getting to your hotel in Poipu and back to the airport is expensive. Figure about $65 each way, including tip. You should look at small economy cars.

Edited: 20 November 2015, 03:54
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there uber in Kauai?

OOPS, old thread. Jebett's gonna be on me for this.

California
Level Contributor
40,664 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there uber in Kauai?

22K and I are watching U!!!!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,143 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there uber in Kauai?

She's new. She has Hawai'i as her location, though, so I wondered if she lives on another island.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there uber in Kauai?

Aloha! I realize that this post is a couple of months old but I was trying to find the same information and happened to see it! We are going to be in Kauai and will be doing the dinner cruise, as well. I don't mind renting a car but we are on vacation, will be without kids, and would like to enjoy the drinks offered. Did anyone ever come up with a better option? No Uber and taxis are almost $70 each way. We will be coming in on the Cruise ship and in Kauai for 2 days. Any advice would be appreciated!! We leave in 1 week! Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
40,664 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there uber in Kauai?

How about finding someone on the cruise who is also going on the dinner cruise and asking for a ride or sharing a taxi, otherwise just rent a car and for one night one can be a DD. It won't be the worst thing in the world.

Reply to: Is there uber in Kauai?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted