We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Backside" of Road to Hana and fear of heights

Hillsboro, Oregon
4 posts
Save Topic
"Backside" of Road to Hana and fear of heights

Hello! I have a pretty bad fear of heights, but I was surprisingly OK with the Road to Hana when I went years ago. My husband is absolutely stuck on the idea of driving the whole way around (knowing full well of the rental car issue), so my questions are:

- How much worse are the drop-offs/cliffs on the "backside" of the road?

- Does the right side of the road hug the mountain for the entirety of the drive? I'm generally OK if the cliff is to the left and I'm in the passenger seat on the right. In fact, if this direction allows us to hug the right side of the road the entirety of the way, I may feel SAFER than if I was on the road back from Hana.

- Does anyone know how the current conditions of the road are? We're headed to Maui in just a few days.

Also, please know that we are spending the night in Hana, so we will be able to drive back during daylight hours.

We're headed to Maui on our honeymoon, so I'm having a particularly tough time with this issue. On the one hand I don't want to deny my husband a chance to see more of Maui (it's his first time in Hawaii), but on the other hand I deserve to enjoy myself as well (and not be scared out of my mind)!

Thanks in advance for any help! I know there are countless posts about the backside of the Road to Hana as well as countless posts about fear of heights and the Road to Hana, but I couldn't find any comparing the drop-offs of the two (other than I know there are some sections on the backside that include drop-offs and unpaved road).

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,608 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: "Backside" of Road to Hana and fear of heights

I could ask TA to make it another sticky, perhaps? The problem though is that the Pools can close and open like "that" at any time. You could leave town at 6 AM, and they were open..........only to reach Oheo at 10 and find them closed.

I am not sure why they are still closed............I think they are being extra, extra cautious due to the crazy storms we have had this winter back there. Ever since the Feds lost the lawsuit years ago they tend to be that way there.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,817 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: "Backside" of Road to Hana and fear of heights

I am wondering why the park staff couldn't put up a sign at the entrance booth, saying the pools are closed for swimming.

Still a lot of people enjoy the walk down there, just to take photos. Not everyone gets in for a swim. Mind you, when I hike the Pipiwai Trail, I always look forward to jumping in the pools to cool off!

Mentioned in this post
Pipiwai Trail
Pipiwai Trail
1,077 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,608 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: "Backside" of Road to Hana and fear of heights

There are signs, and the NPS website also lists it. People just don't pay attention sometimes.

Mendocino...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: "Backside" of Road to Hana and fear of heights

Mahalo ShelleyLoves2Travel. Although I don't have superpowers and a magic shield I am in fact an experienced and confident driver. Your advice is helpful. Aloha! mendojojo

Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: "Backside" of Road to Hana and fear of heights

Drove the backside today (3/16) and it was fine, Dry the whole way. Was actually busier than previous times we have done it.

Michael

46. Re: "Backside" of Road to Hana and fear of heights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2018, 13:18