We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half way to Hana in December

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Half way to Hana in December

We are considering doing a drive half way to Hana the week after Christmas. We have two boys, 12 and 14 who aren't crazy about spending an entire day driving and looking at waterfalls, but I want to see at least part of this infamous drive! We plan to go on a day when we are leaving our hotel in Wailea, then drive half way to Hana, then return to our next hotel in Ka'anapali. If we go only half way to Hana are we missing the best views or will we see enough to make it worth the drive?

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half way to Hana in December

thankful4family,

Do not do this with your luggage in the car - theft from cars does happen and the advice of this forum is to never leave valuables in the car. Some will say 'lock and leave valuables out of site', but the bad guys are well equipped to break in.

As for those bored teens, I would plan well for the RTH regardless of how you do it, especially of you only go part of the way. Most of the drive until Hana is in a canopy of trees so you will not see much, you need to be aware of where to stop, turn off and find the good stuff. Many of the highlights are close to or even past Hana.

If you just set off without a plan you will be as unhappy as those teens.

I would do the research (lots of posts on this forum and in the 'Top Questions' on the right). Make sure to connect to the 'Maui forum' and the full version of the site to see these Top Questions. You could then find something that the teens would find interesting.

RTH really needs most of a day, really a full day. Anything you could do in a half day will probably not make the teens happy. Otherwise save Hana for when the teens are in college and you come back alone.

You could also bribe the teens with surf lessons (again good advice in the Maui forum) in exchange for indulging you on the RTH day.

Edited: 30 March 2017, 03:28
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,137 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half way to Hana in December

Welcome to Trip Advisor!

Half way to Hana is the Keanae Peninsula. Well worth the drive to some, just to get Auntie Sandy's banana bread! And it is gorgeous down there, with the amazing blue ocean, crashing into the black lava, with all the lush green foliage around. But it is still quite the drive.

Just remember, that you can turn around at any point, if the kids get sick in the back, or you are not having fun anymore.

Twin Falls may be an option that works. It is at the beginning, and at least you would be able to hike in to see the falls. But then you have the issue with the luggage!

A lot of the stops along the drive are right by the road, so the luggage would be safe enough. I would just avoid opening the trunk at a stop, and then walking away. And take ALL valuables with you at all times.

The other thing is, that you have no way to know what the weather may be like on that specific day. Most people can watch the reports, and pick a day when it looks good, and head out. December is winter on Maui, and you may find that it isn't safe to drive it at all, when your transition day comes around.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half way to Hana in December

Great advice about the car being broken into. I will have to rethink our plans!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,115 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half way to Hana in December

Give Hana a full day - even if you don't go all the way to Hana. There are other sights to see in the same general area.

Move to Ka'anapali on another day.

Edited: 30 March 2017, 04:26
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,760 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half way to Hana in December

With the two boys.. Id give Twin Falls a serious thought. It could easily be done in 1/2 day. On your moving day.. check out at 11 or 10?.. head to the west side. If you are at a hotel, drop the bags and enjoy exploring.. go have lunch.. come back and enjoy the pool.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half way to Hana in December

I took two 14 year old boys to Hana and beyond and they had a blast!! You don't spend all your time in a car. Personally, I wouldn't bother if just going to Twin Falls but that's just me!!

Do re-think this with the luggage.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Half way to Hana in December

Thanks all for the feedback. We will play it by ear and take the full trip on a day with good weather.

8. Re: Half way to Hana in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2018, 12:18