We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

Does anyone want to take a crack at recommending a tour company that drives the Road to Hana?

I have driven it, twice, the last time about 15 years ago. Because of a skydiving accident after that trip, I no longer have the confidence in my balance and I am not comfortable around heights including mountain roads with drop offs.

We understand the travel bus comes in two sizes, and I think I would prefer the larger vehicle partly for that reason, but also because there would be more people to socialize with especially other couples. The downside is we may also get stuck with a bunch of kids which might make the journey less pleasant.

We are also much more interested in the waterfalls and beaches prior to Hana than a drive around the lava, and we understand there are options both ways but we do not know the pros and cons of this.

Suggestions?

13 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,853 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

Valley Isle Excursions is the one most recommended on this forum. Temptation Tours is also well respected. I've been with neither company.

The largest vehicle I have seen for tours is a 12 passenger van.

The best waterfalls are beyond Hana!!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,602 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

The "bonus" with Valley Isle, is that they go back driving the "backside" of Haleakala.

I don't think there are many kids on those tours. At least on these forums, we encourage people with kids to do the drive themselves. If the kids get car sick, they are stuck! And with kids that are bored, at least you can turn around when you need to, and head back towards Paia.

Having said that, not all visitors to Maui are on TA! I'd be curious to hear from Valley Isle, how many kids they actually take on those tours.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

Very common question ... Valley Isle and Temptation Tours. I have taken Valley Isle to Hana and Temptation Tours to Haleakala.

Book directly with either.

FYI - in the future, use the Island of Maui Forum. It includes all of the teeny sub-Forums like Hana ... but there is much more information and many more readers. Pull it up and take a look. And check out the Top Questions off to the right-hand side of the screen.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,684 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

Valley Isle is a class operation and I can't rec them highly enough. 12 pax vans with huge windows and very knowledgeable and entertaining drivers/guides. While they feed you well, do take extra snacks and water...it IS a long day.

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

We were going to do Valley Isle to Hana but then decided to drive ourselves. We did a day up-country the other day and passed by 2 Valley Isle vans sitting beside us at a stop light. I looked over to see them and the one I saw had kids in it. There were teens and younger so I don't know if that's always the case........

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
60,031 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

Poly Ad and Roberts take bigger coaches to Hana, and so do "discover Hawaii' and "Mahalo Tours".

Platinum Tours is another good choice.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

We used Valley Isle, had a great guide, great time and no kids on our van

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

Depending on the size of your party you could book a private tour with Valley Isle. Not cheap, but then you know who is going.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

When are you traveling? There is "kid season" ... and there is "not kid season."

Glacier National...
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

Can someone else in your group drive rather than you?

Reply to: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted