We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

Does anyone want to take a crack at recommending a tour company that drives the Road to Hana?

I have driven it, twice, the last time about 15 years ago. Because of a skydiving accident after that trip, I no longer have the confidence in my balance and I am not comfortable around heights including mountain roads with drop offs.

We understand the travel bus comes in two sizes, and I think I would prefer the larger vehicle partly for that reason, but also because there would be more people to socialize with especially other couples. The downside is we may also get stuck with a bunch of kids which might make the journey less pleasant.

We are also much more interested in the waterfalls and beaches prior to Hana than a drive around the lava, and we understand there are options both ways but we do not know the pros and cons of this.

Suggestions?

13 replies to this topic
Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

I'm doing Valley Isle in June w/ my 14-yo. I have no clue if he'll like it or be bored (he doesn't get car sick). I could drive it but I don't know if we'll ever get back there again and I want to enjoy the experience and not spend the day nervous about the windy roads and other drivers.

Hana, Hawaii...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

Daniel From Valley Isle Excursions

Your 14 year old son should enjoy the day as it's filled with great stories and lots of interesting stops in a variety of places. In most cases families have a great time together as no one is stressed about timing, driving or where they are going. The guide will take into account their needs so that everyone can enjoy the day.

I like to make little games of the day to find different coconut snacks, the most exotic fruit at a stands, the craziest photo etc. There is even geo-caches at some locations which can turn stops into a bit of a treasure hunt. The guide will definitely play along and provide a bit of guidance as they know all the spots.

For those concerned about car-sickness, our guides know how to drive the road, understand distraction and have lots of remedies on hand. You can read a few tips to help you overcome it by checking out this post we put together as we get emails concerning that daily. https:/…

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana

Daniel, thanks so much for your post! Very helpful, and I can't wait for our upcoming trip!

Reply to: Best Tour Company for the Road to Hana
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted