We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

waterfalls dry?

Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
waterfalls dry?

Are all of the waterfalls dry on the Road to Hana? Is the one at the of of Pipiwe trail dry as well? Looking for information regarding this.

6 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,749 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: waterfalls dry?

Waimoku Falls, on the Pipiwai, is running, but not hugely. Some of the others are still running too....but that's like always-if we get more rain, they'll be good. If we don't, they won't!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,394 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: waterfalls dry?

The waterfalls are rain dependent. It's not the beginning of dry season yet so there should be water in them. Especially Waimoku!!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,749 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: waterfalls dry?

We've been quite dry...............

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: waterfalls dry?

Are they typically dry in mid-July? Was looking into a hike with Maui Mike for wife and daughter, specifically because they wanted to see the falls. I know it's like Vegas - it's a gamble on the weather.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: waterfalls dry?

It is really dry in parts of Hana right now. Sad but true..

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,749 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: waterfalls dry?

Yes, the falls are more like trickles most summers (and like now, some spring times, too).

July is a tough call. We can get some tropical storms and/or heavy convective weather on the mountain, which will then "refill" the waterfalls. Of course, the road may also close and/or flood.

The "dry season" is not something fixed and concrete. It changes, just like the weather itself does.

This year is a great example. I've had maybe three noticeable rainshowers up NW in the last 3 months. I *should* have had rain in January & some in Feb., but had almost nothing. My January water bill was just under my July 2016 bill. My March bill made me cringe when I opened it yesterday.....it's *more* than my July bill was.

Reply to: waterfalls dry?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted