We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

Hi,

Will be starting along the RTH from the airport (our flight lands at 9am from the West Coast) and staying at Travaasa Hana for our first night. Since we will be staying overnight in Hana, it seems best to break up the different sites along the way, rather than cram them all in. Curious if anyone has advice on this?

Here's what we were thinking.

Option 1: Should we stop at the early sites before reaching Travaasa, then plan to visit the locations beyond Travaasa (like Oheo Gulch, Wailua Falls, etc) when we wake up the next morning?

Option 2: Drive straight to Travaasa, check in, and spend the rest of the day at Hamoa Beach, Oheo Gulch, and Wailua Falls. Then when we leave the hotel, we can check out the early mile marker spots we missed as we drive to Kaanapali.

Option 3: Open to suggestions!

Would love any advice!

21 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
59,648 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

Your first is good, as long as you don't leave the car out of sight.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

Yes — you touch on an important point. Our luggage being in the car. I guess we'd have to skip the Garden of Eden then.

Curious if there would be any major drawbacks in driving straight to Travaasa, then exploring the sites we bypassed on our drive back? Not sure how the road or turnouts are situated.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,648 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

Will your luggage fit in the trunk? Garden of Eden is generally fine for cars. It's a private enterprise and off the road.

Edited: 28 May 2017, 13:37
San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

Yes! We are stashing are suitcases in the truck and plan on having everything we need for the day in our backpacks.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,648 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

You'll be fine.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

On the issue of theft: is it a HUGE concern on the Road to Hana? We will have a sedan and plan to keep our suitcases in the trunk — we will not be opening our trunk the entire time we are traveling down the road or keeping any valuable visible in sthe car itself.

While it's ideal that we only stop at places where we can see the car at all times, there seems to be several stops where that doesn't seem possible (Twin Falls, Waianapanapa, Ke’anae Arboretum, and perhaps more I am unfamiliar with).

While there's no guarantee, is the risk factor high given the precautions we are taking (basically practicing our "city/street smarts")? Wondering if we should seek some sort of luggage storage near the airport.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,846 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

Overall you should be fine. As long as in trunk and you never go in. The one exception for me would be Twin Falls. I'd skip it anyway because there wil be better later on. I would definitely do Oheo Gulch and Pipiwai Trail early next morning before people arrive.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,740 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

The thefts along the Hana Hwy aren't rampant but do occur. It's a crime of opportunity more than anything. Put your valuable's in your backpack and you should be good to go. I wouldn't find a luggage storage place. We used to leave all our beach gear, cooler etc. in the car and had no problems!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

Thank you for this advice! We'll take the risk, and just make sure everything is locked in the trunk with no plans to open it while we're on the drive.

@travelbugged4, you are not the first person to suggest that we skip Twin Falls — I think we'll take it off our list. Now I should start doing research on the must-see spots that might be worth leaving our car unattended for a few ;)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,846 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

There is so much to see and very beautiful things... Check out my blog from 2 nights June 2015.... and you can see some of the fun things in the area. This is the link to the first page but you can keep going and see what we did in the morning before the crowds arrived.

https:/…

Reply to: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted