We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

Hi,

Will be starting along the RTH from the airport (our flight lands at 9am from the West Coast) and staying at Travaasa Hana for our first night. Since we will be staying overnight in Hana, it seems best to break up the different sites along the way, rather than cram them all in. Curious if anyone has advice on this?

Here's what we were thinking.

Option 1: Should we stop at the early sites before reaching Travaasa, then plan to visit the locations beyond Travaasa (like Oheo Gulch, Wailua Falls, etc) when we wake up the next morning?

Option 2: Drive straight to Travaasa, check in, and spend the rest of the day at Hamoa Beach, Oheo Gulch, and Wailua Falls. Then when we leave the hotel, we can check out the early mile marker spots we missed as we drive to Kaanapali.

Option 3: Open to suggestions!

Would love any advice!

21 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

I too would skip Twin Falls, they're nice but in the big scheme of things, low on the priority list!!

Check out the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page for more info on Hana. You will need to use the "full-site' if on a mobile device.

I also like this web-site, the owner used to be a DE for Maui here in TA. He is also the author of Hana: Mile by Mile.

www.hawaii-guide.com

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,642 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

Love that blog, Snorkel Queen! You got such super photos.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

Thank you for all the help everyone! The blogs, guides, and forum are getting us so excited for our trip.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

Awesome, I hope you have a magical Hana journey!!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,642 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

Have a wonderful time all over Maui!

Level Contributor
17 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

I'd go with option 1 and highly recommend making time for red sand beach in Hana (as long as it isn't raining - trail could be slippery then). Don't wear flip flops!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the helpful advice. We had such an amazing drive on the RTH! Since we landed at 9am, we got a later start on the trek but as a result, we had no traffic!

We decided to make all the stops until the Black Sand beach and had no problems with leaving our luggage in the car. We made sure to park nearby other cars in trafficked areas and were never gone too long. Along the way, we had amazing coconut ice cream and barbecue to die for!

We then spent a relaxing evening at the Travaasa and hit the road around 7am to get to Pipiwai Trail — it was AMAZING. We were the first people in the park and enjoyed the entire hike to ourselves. It wasn't until we exited the trail that people were starting to pull into the parking lot. We stopped at Braddah Huts BBQ on the way out, grabbed our luggage and hit the RTH to get to other side of the island. Again, because of timing, no traffic on the way out.

What a magical few days in Hana! I highly recommend an overnight stay. It makes the trip way more relaxing and really allows you time to fit everything in!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

Hana is magical. So glad you had such a great time. Thanks for letting us know!!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,642 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

Thanks for circling back! Great to hear you had a good time and enjoyed the area.

Edmonds...
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?

What an awesome blog you have! I was wondering if you have a link to that cute house you rented in Hana? Thanks!

Reply to: Best Way to Do Road to Hana If Staying Overnight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted