We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best audio tour?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Best audio tour?

I've heard to get the most out of your Road to Hana drive you should do an audio tour. Any recommendations? I see there's apps, found a post from 2012 asking about the best CDs, guessing can probably purchase something for download too. For app recommendations, we have Android phones

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
8 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,628 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best audio tour?

I rec the GyPSy Guide app-and I would prob buy the whole island app. Do make sure you bring a charger-it eats battery life.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best audio tour?

I agree the GyPSy app is probably the best on the market right now. The CD's are nice if you are more "old school!"

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,628 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best audio tour?

Do know that some rental cars don't have CD players anymore!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best audio tour?

I see GyPSy says it's for iOS, but if it's just a digital download that could prob put on any platform right? I'm pretty techy so can usually find a way as long as it's not just an app.

About the no CD in rental cars, that's why I'd prefer some type of digital download, but I can always convert the CD to digital audio in advance.

I also found this app that has lots of high rated reviews. It's free so guess I could always download it in advance and listen to it. Anyone familiar with it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,628 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best audio tour?

It's okay, but I like the GyPSy better. It has more history and stuff, IMO. For Android, use the Google Play link:

gypsyguide.com/package/maui-full-island-tour/

One drawback to any of these is that they are based on you stopping along the way. We often rec that people head to the farthest point of their plan (eg the Pipiwai Trail and Oheo Gulch) first, then work their way back. If you do this, just make notes as you go of the points you want to see on the way back.

Mentioned in this post
Pipiwai Trail
Pipiwai Trail
1,078 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best audio tour?

OH, didn't know that. Our car is 2015 and we have a CD player. It was a rental car!! Better stick,with that new fangled technology just in case!!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best audio tour?

fishdiva some new cars now have CD players others do not (my 2017 Honda does but my friends 2016 Jeep does not!), so you never know what you'll have!

Burton, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best audio tour?

We just did the RTH using the Shaka app. It worked very well for us. Very informative. Turns, places to stop, rest rooms and parking were spot on. Really made our trip enjoyable.

Reply to: Best audio tour?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted