We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pipiwai Trail Bamboo Forest - Hana Tour Companies

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pipiwai Trail Bamboo Forest - Hana Tour Companies

I've looked but so far cannot find a tour company that does RTH, and avoids the backside/backroad/unpaved section of RTH...but that DOES stop at the Pipiwai Trail to see the bamboo forest. Most either do the whole road including the backside, or they stop and turnaround at Hana Town.

Is anyone aware of a tour company that does RTH AND Pipiwai, but avoids the back road? I know the back road is a heated topic on this forum, and I want to avoid all of that here if possible. I have already decided to not do the backway of RTH for a couple of reasons (which I won't get into here). And I will be solo on this trip, so I definitely want to do RTH with a tour company. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Pipiwai Trail
Pipiwai Trail
1,075 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
6 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pipiwai Trail Bamboo Forest - Hana Tour Companies

The tours stop at Oheo Gulch where the trail head is but it's a 4 mile round trip hike. That's why you won't find tour companies that stop,there. Take a look at Hike Maui if you want to hike the trail.

Mentioned in this post
Hike Maui
Hike Maui
1,540 Reviews
Maui, HI
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pipiwai Trail Bamboo Forest - Hana Tour Companies

That's what I was afraid of. But thanks, you've enabled me to stop madly searching the internet. Lol

Iowa
Level Contributor
13,052 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pipiwai Trail Bamboo Forest - Hana Tour Companies

Shellfox, you can book a private tour to make the stops and hikes you like. But for a single person that would be pricey. For others who might be interested, just make sure you book with a licensed private tour company. Ask here for confirmation if you're not certain. Our Maui DE, SW knows how to check.

Edited: 18 September 2017, 02:50
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,397 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pipiwai Trail Bamboo Forest - Hana Tour Companies

Hike Maui is an excellent company. I wouldn't hesitate to book any hike with them.

Mentioned in this post
Hike Maui
Hike Maui
1,540 Reviews
Maui, HI
Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pipiwai Trail Bamboo Forest - Hana Tour Companies

Yes, Hike Maui is your best option, given that you don't want to drive. Maybe your only affordable option that is reliable (licensed etc). The other licensed tours don't allow time for Pipiwai regardless of whether they go all the way around or not.

Mentioned in this post
Hike Maui
Hike Maui
1,540 Reviews
Maui, HI
Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pipiwai Trail Bamboo Forest - Hana Tour Companies

Hello!

Did you end up selecting a private tour company? Any report of how your RTH day went with the private tour? Would you do it again with them?

We are looking to book for early August 2018 so researching the topic. Hike Maui, Valley Isle, Temptations and Aruwupi were mentioned in the Maui and Hana forums.

Edited: 21 April 2018, 18:50
Mentioned in this post
Hike Maui
Hike Maui
1,540 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI