We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Itinerary - Too ambitious?

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip Itinerary - Too ambitious?

Hi everyone!

My fiance and I are planning the Road to Hana in mid-January. We will make it a day trip and want your advice on my itinerary.

We are in our late 20's/early 30's, active and enjoy hikes with waterfalls. Should I add anything or take anything out?

7:00am – leave hotel (Royal Lahaina) and head to Paia Town

8:00am – Mana Foods (get snacks and lunch for the road)

Twin Falls

Halfway to Hana Stand

Upper Waikani Falls (3 Bears)

Coconut Glenns (Ice cream)

Wai’anapanapa State Park (Black Sand Beach)

Thai food by Pranee or Bradduh Hutt (Lunch)

Hamoa Beach

Oheo Gulch (Seven Sacred Pools)

Pipiwai Trail

Edited: 29 December 2017, 03:57
Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
4,405 Reviews
Maui, HI
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Mana Foods
Mana Foods
809 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wai'anapanapa State Park
Wai'anapanapa State Park
1,642 Reviews
Maui, HI
Thai Food By Pranee
Thai Food By Pranee
524 Reviews
Maui, HI
Bradduh Hutt
Bradduh Hutt
432 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hamoa Beach
Hamoa Beach
135 Reviews
Maui, HI
Pipiwai Trail
Pipiwai Trail
1,063 Reviews
Maui, HI
19 replies to this topic
Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Day Trip Itinerary - Too ambitious?

mamma0233 - thank you, that helps a lot. Hopefully we don't get rained on too much.

AkamaiNick4SW - thank you! I probably will go back the way we came or start at Pipiwai like you suggested. If the pools of Oheo open while were there do you think it's worth it? Do people swim in the pools or is more of just a view point?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
67,666 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day Trip Itinerary - Too ambitious?

I can pretty much guarantee the Pools won't be open--it's winter, and they are unstable and rough *normally* during this time. They're worth a stop to look over, but not really a trophy you're missing, LOL.

Also-if you are going to go to the summit of Haleakala, I suggest buying the Tri-Park Pass at whichever stop you make first (the summit entrance or the Kipahulu side). It's 30.00, but is good for a year. Otherwise, you pay 25.00- for entry-and that ticket is only good for 72 hours................which most often means two very long car days back to back---or paying another 25.00 a few days later.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Day Trip Itinerary - Too ambitious?

We’ve been to Hana each of the past 3 years. The highlight for us each time was the Pipiwai Trail. If I was to do it in one day, I’d drive straight to the trail head, hike the trail and then hit what I could on the return. It’s really an amazing diverse hike. We were there the first of December 2017. It rain hellaciously on us.

Upper Waikani Falls is nice although not sure it’s worth an hour there unless you plan to hike down and go for a swim. There used to be a ladder that made the access much easier but the last two trips, it was gone and the trail down from the bridge seemed a bit sketchy, particularly for an old guy like me.

We loved Thai food by Pranee but they were closed during our last trip. Stumbled upon Bradduh Hut and ate there twice. Exceptional food and some of the best ribs I’ve ever had.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Pipiwai Trail
Pipiwai Trail
1,063 Reviews
Maui, HI
Thai Food By Pranee
Thai Food By Pranee
524 Reviews
Maui, HI
Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Day Trip Itinerary - Too ambitious?

DelRock - Thank you!! We are for sure going to Pipiwai trail first then making our way back. Thai food by Pranee and Braddug Hut are on my list of places to eat :D

Mentioned in this post
Pipiwai Trail
Pipiwai Trail
1,063 Reviews
Maui, HI
15. Re: Day Trip Itinerary - Too ambitious?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 January 2018, 12:14
Edited: 15 January 2018, 12:14

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Day Trip Itinerary - Too ambitious?

With all these plans of eating in different food trucks, maybe you don't need to pack lunch... some simple snacks will probably be enough.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Day Trip Itinerary - Too ambitious?

Hi Jenny,

Curious how your trip turned out. We are going there early May and would like to plan same itinerary. We are staying in Kanaapali.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Day Trip Itinerary - Too ambitious?

Hi Jenny,

Curious how your trip turned out. We are going there early May and would like to plan same itinerary. We are staying in Kanaapali.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Day Trip Itinerary - Too ambitious?

Hi Jenny,

Reply to: Day Trip Itinerary - Too ambitious?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted