We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana - the back road

Skopje, Republic of...
Level Contributor
151 posts
315 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Hana - the back road

Hello my fellow travelers,

I will be doing the Road to Hana next week, I rented very small car (I know that the rental agencies not allow to drive there but I will take that risk). Do you think driving in smaller car is smart or should I upgrade to something bigger?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
10 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,737 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana - the back road

The size of car won't matter. Who knows what kind of condition the road will be in come next week. Storms moving through this week with a possibility of very heavy rainfall. If I was to risk driving that road in a rental it sure wouldn't be in the winter.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana - the back road

Wasn't the road recently closed for repair? Is that not still the case?

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana - the back road

Dont drive the back road even if open, you will not be insured as it voids your rental agreement .

A small car is fine driving from the airport down to and past Hana if weather is ok

Edited: 31 January 2018, 12:13
Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Hana - the back road

Just got back from there a couple of hours ago. It was great. Yes, there are rough areas so it can be slow going at times, but overall much quicker than dealing with the tourists on Hwy to Hana. I could see where bad weather could negatively affect the roads but we had clear skies. The views of the coast are breathtaking. We did have a Jeep but saw various four-door sedans, etc. on the road. There were road crews just getting out at 1:00 p.m. to work. We didn't have to stop for flaggers.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,422 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Hana - the back road

Do what you will; be safe and careful. Pay attention to the weather and the road conditions. If you do have car trouble, you are aware there is no cell phone service for some of the back way. Also, don't hit a cow!!!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
67,626 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Hana - the back road

I already told you that the road will be closed when you are here.

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Hana - the back road

Kosta-Macedonia

Please ignore bad advice such as given in the reply from macnmrs. As stated, the road will be closed anyway and like macnmrs and all the others doing it you would not be insured.

You are not missing much anyway. The back road is not a quicker route than via the east coast to Hana and the scenery is not what most people come to see on the Road to Hana, namely beaches, tropical vegetation and waterfalls. There is nothing there except rugged, barren scenery, it has it's own charm but not what most visitors expect.

The final part of the 'back road' around the western slopes of Haleakala (Upcountry) are worth a visit, but this area is easily and legally accessible from the center of Maui without going all the way around.

Edited: 01 February 2018, 05:51
Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
496 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Hana - the back road

The question/topic has been discussed 1,002 times already. Seeing as you have some use on TA, you shouldn't have an issue finding one of the numerous threads.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Road to Hana - the back road

Sigh...If it weren't for the OP's TA level, I'd be convinced the question was a "bit", to just throw a grenade and step back to watch posters once again debate.

As Josh diplomatically stated, the "Back Road to Hana" horse is dead, yet continues to be savagely beaten!!

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
67,626 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road to Hana - the back road

Tim, the thread died a month ago.....and was only brought back to life by your post.

At this point, by the way ---the delayed construction will start around March 5th.

Reply to: Road to Hana - the back road
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted