We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hana from Wailea

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hana from Wailea

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are leaving Monday morning and we wanted to do a Day trip to Hana. The weather is showing rain and thunder storms. I’ve heard there can be landslides. Should we be concerned? We wanted to leave early tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

Eric

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
2 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,892 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hana from Wailea

Welcome to the forums Eric!

Check the weather sites for conditions before you head out. Also, check Maui Now for any updates. Even the road up to Iao Valley was closed earlier this week, with trees down on the road.

Take snacks and drinks for you, because even a car accident can shut down the road for a couple of hours.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Iao Valley
Iao Valley
110 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
70,003 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hana from Wailea

As is normal for the Hana area, they are getting some rain and some is heavier-but it's not been bad there for several days. The ground is very saturated though-so IF a heavy rain occurs, it won't take much to cause landslides, treefall, and rockslides.

Remember that you need to drive over to Kahului to start the RTH. There is no "shortcut" from Wailea to it, and the backside is a mess. You would also be uninsured if you take the back road.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Reply to: Hana from Wailea
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted