We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hana for a single night for family of 5?

Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Hana for a single night for family of 5?

Aloha!

We are planning our first Maui vacation for this August where we will be staying in one of the Kapalua Golf Villas (3 adults, kids 9 and 12). In our 8 days on the island we are trying to decide how to approach the Road to Hana adventure...should we go for one full day trip (12 hours) or do an overnight in Hana, so we can explore south of Maui and return to Kapalua mid afternoon to relax on the beach before dinner. I understand there is road construction that may impact that option. We are interested in the gardens for photo opportunities, BRIEF hikes to waterfalls and swim ponds...and of course local food stands. I saw in another post to be wary of accommodations in Hana that may not be “legal”. Any suggestions? We just need clean beds and a private bathroom. We figure it is our 2 days of “roughing it” for the week. [We are staying at the Volcano House on the Big Island for 4 days, so we have a diverse vacation planned.]. If there are sights or towns to hit to get the local, non-touristy Hawaiian feel, please do tell. It will be great to do in between the beach days and Laihana.

Any advice is welcomed! Mahalo!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Small-Group Road to Hana Luxury Tour...
109 Reviews
from US$392.07*
Small-Group Road to Hana Luxury Tour
164 Reviews
from US$249.37*
Free Cancellation
East Maui Waterfalls and Rainforest...
121 Reviews
from US$138.54*
Free Cancellation
6 replies to this topic
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,407 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hana for a single night for family of 5?

Hi Maria,

Not sure where to stay in Hana, but re doing it as a day trip, I wondered if you saw the responses to your question yesterday in this thread? https:/…91086869

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
133 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hana for a single night for family of 5?

We stayed a night at the Wai'anapanapa State Park Cabins and thought it was a neat, rustic experience. Minimum booking is for two nights but the cost was still lower than everything else we had seen. It gave us the freedom to slow down and enjoy the “Road” and all it had to offer. I highly recommend staying a night somewhere around Hana.

We have two kids and these are the stops we made; Wai'anapanapa, Pipiwai Trail, Hamoa Beach, Koki Beach, Huli Huli Chicken, and Ching’s pond.

We also downloaded the app tour guide for our phone (Shaka Guide) and loved hearing the Hawaiian music, history and stories etc.

Have fun!

https:/…1684.html

Edited: 14 April 2018, 23:47
Mentioned in this post
Wai'anapanapa State Park
Wai'anapanapa State Park
1,666 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Pipiwai Trail
Pipiwai Trail
1,077 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hamoa Beach
Hamoa Beach
136 Reviews
Maui, HI
Huli Huli Chicken
Huli Huli Chicken
232 Reviews
Maui, HI
Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hana for a single night for family of 5?

A couple of years ago, I decided to do the Road to Hana solo. So as to enjoy the drive and stops at an unrushed pace, I booked one night at the Hana Kai. Simple but quality lodging at an affordable price.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Hana Kai Maui
Hana Kai Maui
723 Reviews
Maui, HI
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hana for a single night for family of 5?

We have a reservation at the cabins in September for just one night. What I did was look at the schedule of availability for our time in Maui and then picked a date that was open for one day between other bookings. So we got our one night stay and didn't have to pay for two nights and they filled a night they might otherwise not have booked.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hana for a single night for family of 5?

Staying for only 8 nights I would not devote 2 days to Hana. You will also by double booked for 5 people.

Booking a night requires commitment - the risk is that the weather and road conditions are bad on the day you booked, which could cause you to cancel. Plan a day trip early in the visit, then any cancellation allows flexibility to reschedule.

Staying over also means more stuff in the car, you cannot leave anything in the car unattended, hidden or not, theft does occur.

Do a day trip, save the money and spend it on something else.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,610 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hana for a single night for family of 5?

I wouldn't do an overnight-or 2. Not only for the reasons already cited, but the fact that August is often when we get tropical storms here. They may not happen, or may not be bad---but Hana is often impacted by them even if the main storm is a hundred miles away.

You will have soooooooooo much to see and do on Maui. You can explore north of Kapalua a ways, spend a day down south at La Perouse, Makena, Wailea, and Kihei. Another day could be the Waihe'e Ridge Trail and 'Iao Valley. Then another out on the ocean! Then there is still Haleakala and/or Hana to consider-but you are almost out of time.

I'd put either Hana or Haleakala on the list-and be prepared to throw the list away :-).

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Reply to: Hana for a single night for family of 5?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted