We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this doable?

Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
28 posts
Is this doable?

Hello!

We are two adults and one 7yo child, and are interesting in doing the Road to Hana.

We will be staying around Napili Bay.

Does this sound like something that is doable for one day?

Upper Waikani (Three Bears) Falls MM 21.5

Wai‘anapanapa Wayside Park MM 32

Hamoa Beach MM 51,50

Pipiwai Trail MM 42

Makahiku & Waimoku Falls MM 42

Wailua Falls MM 44.7

and back?

Any tips, recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

Alvin

11 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,042 posts
109 reviews
1. Re: Is this doable?

Just be prepared to turn around at any point, if the 7 year old gets car sick. Lots of curves on that road, and one lane bridges. It's a slow trip, but well worth it. We didn't even enter the conversation about doing this drive when we took our three teens to Maui that first time. They would have been miserable, and very sick.

Nothing wrong with the stops though. Just be prepared for a 12 hour day, especially if you want to complete the Pipiwai Trail. It will take you at least two hours to hike the trail to see Waimoku Falls.

One of my favourite stops is missing from your list though. That's Keanae Peninsula. You actually leave the highway to head down the hill to the small community there. But it's a gorgeous spot, and the bonus is buying Auntie Sandy's banana bread. But you can't see everything on the drive. It's all about choices.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,723 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Is this doable?

Does your child do well in a car? There are over 600 curves on the Hana hwy. Also does your child like to hike? The Pipwai Trail is 4 miles round trip. It would be a good idea if you want to hike it is to drive straight there first then do your sight seeing on the way back

Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
28 posts
3. Re: Is this doable?

Thank you for your replies. She does not get car sick, but maybe the hike is too much?

But other than that, have I chosen too many POIs, too little?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,042 posts
109 reviews
4. Re: Is this doable?

Don't worry about the stops. Some are just by the road (Three Bears Falls), and truth be told, you may not be able to stop there at all. I didn't get to stop there until my fourth time driving the Road to Hana. That was because there wasn't anywhere to pull over! Place was packed, and cars parked illegally, wherever they could jam the vehicle in. We just had to drive right by.

You won't see everything there is to see anyway. So pick some highlights, and prioritize what you want to see. Also, the Pipiwai Trail is a wonderful experience, even if you don't make it to the very end. If you can get to the bamboo forest, that may be a place that you decide to turn around. It's amazing in that forest.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
11,345 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Is this doable?

With a 7..is she a trooper and wanting to hike the 4 mile round trip on the Pipiwai Trail? Makahiku & Waimoku

Falls are on this trail with Waimoku at the very end, If not you might consider a walk to Twin Falls near the beginning of your Hana Road.. by now she might want to return home if not keep going. It will about 2 hour from Napil.

Upper Waikani..might be flowing or not..I'd just let this be a drive by.

Wai‘anapanapa Wayside Park is a beautiful place for a picnic.

I'd skip Hamoa Beach if you are headed to Pipiwai Trail..

You have planned a 12-14 hour day..will that be doable for her and for ya'll?

Level Contributor
36 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Is this doable?

my then 7 year old who never gets car sick or motion sick ended up throwing up the whole time! We had to turn around and go back :( we got as far as aunt Sandy’s banana bread. It’s a lot for their lil tummies

Maui
Level Contributor
70,947 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Is this doable?

You can try it............but my guess is your daughter will not do real well if you try to do the whole thing. Def consider a stop at Twin Falls and go from there, mile by mile. Even if she doesn't get sick (or either of you), it can be a very boring day to a kid.

You should explore the NW area near Napili. You can drive as far as the Ohai Trail without violating your rental car contract. Do the hike there, then turn around and come back. You can stop at Nakalele Blowhole, Lipoa Point, Honolua Bay, and more. Less windshield time and more variety than RTH.

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,144 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Is this doable?

I agree with SW, don’t miss exploring the great beaches, trails and scenery near where you’re staying in northwest Maui. You’ll definitely want to see the Nakalele Blowhole and walk down through the path to Honolua Bay.

I’ve never done Lipoa Point Trail, so I looked it up here where there are some recent comments. https:/…lipoa-point

Unfortunately, it sounds like the trail is either closed, or very overgrown and trashed, or both.

Anyone here have recent experience at Lipoa? It looks beautiful. Too bad if it’s closed because it’s been abused or something.

Edited: 17 June 2018, 06:21
Maui
Level Contributor
70,947 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Is this doable?

I should have been much more clear---I only meant pulling *off* at the Lipoa Point overlook, not trying to do the trail. Sorry!!

Def stay away from the trail...........not only is it closed but the homeless there are not a nice bunch.

The other spots will be good and of course, you also have the Kapalua Coastal Trail at your door, almost :-).

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Is this doable?

We tried doing RTH with our teens who do not get car sick and we had to turn around at Garden of Eden because one of them got quite sick and he felt sick for two days afterward. :( You just never know! Flexibility is key. :)

Reply to: Is this doable?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hana
Recent Conversations