We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone done the road to Hana backwards?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone done the road to Hana backwards?

Someone had told us to do the road to Hana backwards to avoid the huge traffic of cars going the usual way. Has anyone done this, and what does this mean?

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,195 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone done the road to Hana backwards?

It's been done of course. By backwards I take you to mean starting upcountry and going the southern route instead of going easterly (the usual way). You really can't do that. The car rental companies prohibit you from driving part of the road that you would need to take to get to Hana. What you could do is start out very early and go straight to Hana and beyond and then do your stops on the way back. Depending on when you go, there really won't be huge traffic of cars.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,441 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone done the road to Hana backwards?

I'd suggest you start very early go around Hana, and then back around breaking your rental car agreement and SW's heart. Where are you staying? If you break down, you're on your own. Some call it a dangerous road; I call a chance for adventure.

Dear OP, you know this question has been asked MANY times before. I always go from Paia toward Hana instead of the other way, but I drive my car backwards...that's why it takes so long! :(

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
HANA
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone done the road to Hana backwards?

ok.......I just couldn't take this any more!!! I called 2 rental companies and asked about driving through Kaupo all the way around the island. The first one said,no, they don't allow it. BUT, the second company, Maui rent a jeep said NO PROBLEM!!!!! The # is 808-877-6626. The road is really not that bad. Bumpy, dirty, a little scary? But so are pink speedos! Perhaps for the faint of heart.

Now there is no need to argue about contracts or any other such legal problems. Yay!!!! Problem solved. Have fun and aloha...........

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
HANA
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone done the road to Hana backwards?

Just joking on the pink speedos Caddy......sort of... ;-))

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,441 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone done the road to Hana backwards?

No problem HANABOY. Truth be told, I've taken that road ALL the way around about 4 times, and have never been scared!

(Now I didn't say that I didn't break my rental car agreement though...disclaimer....car has been returned in most excellent operating condition...only been driven between Kaanapalli and Wailea!) :)

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
HANA
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone done the road to Hana backwards?

I know what you mean. I've driven it for over 25 years and only lost 1 drivers side side mirror to a tour bus!!!!! It has beaten the cr@p out of my trucks though! Aloha

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,339 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone done the road to Hana backwards?

Aloha,

Hanaboy, if you read the (insanely) long thread under the question about road limitations, you'd see that there were two companies that said okay-and that all the "majors" said no. No one has ever said EVERY rental company prohibits it...........just that all the biggies do.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,195 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone done the road to Hana backwards?

Hana Boy, we love ya guy but you have to look at the big picture. Like sw said, the biggies say NO. Yes, the jeep company says yes, and the prices reflect that. Problem will never be solved!!

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone done the road to Hana backwards?

Locals use this road all of the time. It is passable except when it rains very hard. The county of maui maintains the gravel part of the road by periodically re surfacing with new gravel/cinders.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone done the road to Hana backwards?

Msfuzz please stop telling people the car rental contract prohibits you from driving past Hana. It is simply not true. To quote directly from my rental contract it states:

5. Prohibited use of car

d. Engage in any willful or wanton misconduct, which, among other things MAY include reckless conduct such as: [contract then lists things like not wearing seat belts or child restraints] ...use off road or on roads which are not regularly maintained.

Msfuzz I assume this is the part of the contract you are referring to because no where in the contract does it say specifically that the road past Hana is forbidden. So let me interpret this language for you (yes I am a lawyer and no is this not legal advice).

The contract prohibits willful or wanton misconduct ( which has it's own legal definition) and states that this MAY, I repeat, MAY include reckless behavior such as driving off road. The operative word here is MAY. Driving on a gravel road is not per se a violation of the contract. It, again, MAY be a violation if you are driving recklessly. But guess what? Driving recklessly on any road will be a violation of the contract, it doesn't matter if it is a highway or the road past Hana.

Take the contract to a lawyer and they will give you the same interpretation I did. So please STOP telling people it is a violation of the contract to drive past Hana. You are speaking out of turn and you are wrong. The truth is that whether it is a violation of the contract depends on how they are driving. Take it slow, honk your horn, and yield to other cars and chances are you are NOT in violation of the contract. Drive like an a-hole and you probably ARE in violation. Are we clear?

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI