We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana question

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
72 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Hana question

We would like to visit the Pipiwai Trails at Haleakala National Park and we would also like to see the Hana Lava Tubes. Can this be done in one day? We will be staying the whole week in Lahaina and are planning to leave at 5 AM. How long does it take to get there and is the road really that dangerous as I hear? We will be traveling with our 2 kids (11 & 6) and driving in a ford explorer.

Mentioned in this post
Haleakala National Park
Haleakala National Park
1,821 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana Lava Tubes
Hana Lava Tubes
370 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Small-Group Road to Hana Luxury Tour...
109 Reviews
from US$392.07*
Small-Group Road to Hana Luxury Tour
164 Reviews
from US$249.37*
Free Cancellation
East Maui Waterfalls and Rainforest...
121 Reviews
from US$138.54*
Free Cancellation
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana question

The road isn't dangerous at all!! Over 600 curves and numerous one lane bridges. You can leave Lahaina, hike the Pipiwai Trail, visit the lava tubes and be back in Lahaina in about 12 hours. Done all the time. Just make sure your kids don't get car sick. If you drove straight from Lahaina to Oheo Gulch (where the trailhead is located) it would take you approx. 3-3 1/2 hours. For more info about this wonderful journey, look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Pipiwai Trail
Pipiwai Trail
1,078 Reviews
Maui, HI
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana question

We got an early start an the Road to Hana and were glad we did because there was hardly anyone else on the road. The only downside was the lava tubs didn't open till 10 so we were too early to go through them. Still had a blast on the drive....even did the backside so we didn't backtrack. Just take it slow and pack snacks and water!

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana question

You could head early straight to the Pipiwai - I highly recommend it - see my trip report:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k540643…

You could stop at Lava tube on way back, we did do the Lava Tube on way into Hana, I did not mention it in our trip report, it was interesting and I recommend it, but not at the expense of hiking Pipiwai! Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
4. Re: Road to Hana question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:17