We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kapalua Airport - Avis locations

Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Topic
Kapalua Airport - Avis locations

Hi all,

We're flying into Kapalua JHM airport on April 26 and I'm trying to book a rental car. Google maps says that there are two Avis (Avii?) locations: one at the airport itself and one a couple miles south at 11 Halawai Dr.

When I check their website and tripadvisor reviews/threads I can only see the latter location available. Is it not possible to grab a car from the airport directly? I wouldn't mind taking the short shuttle/taxi ride, but it would be easier to avoid it because my departing flight is early in the morning and I'd like to avoid the possibility of a late shuttle.

6 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kapalua Airport - Avis locations

On the Avis site I see only the Halawai Drive one. When I zoom out on their map, that's it. Google Maps is often wrong about addresses on Hawaii.

Have you called to ask?

https:/…jhm

Kaanapali (JHM)

Address: 11 Halawai Drive, (near Kapalua/west Maui Apo), Lahaina (maui), HI, 96761 , U S A

Phone: (1) 808-661-4588

Hours of Operation: Sun - Sat 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM

AIRLINE PASSENGERS: Follow signs to the baggage claim area. Look for the monitor which lists the phone extensions of transportation services. Dial the Avis extension from an available phone. Proceed outside for the Avis courtesy bus which will take you to the Avis location..

DISTANCE from airport to rental counter: 2 miles

WALK-UP RENTERS: Look for the Avis sign at 11 Halawai St. Avis is on the mountain side of the road.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,782 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kapalua Airport - Avis locations

No, there are no cars or 'offices' *at* JHM.

Be careful, if you are leaving really early--the office doesn't open early. You may have to take a taxi from Halawai to JHM.

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kapalua Airport - Avis locations

I used Kapalua airport on my trip returning last week. There are no car rental agencies at the airport, but they are located 5 minutes drive away. If you have a reservation you call once you land and they will pick you up. This includes Avis - they are at Halawai Dr.

The return is similar, you drop off at Halawai Dr and they will drive you to the airport.

The whole experience is so much better than Kahului (OGG) - assuming you are staying on the west side. I love the blurb 'Follow signs to the baggage claim area' - the plane parks within 20 yards of the 'the baggage claim area'. Your bags will be there within 2 minutes and may even beat you there. You call Avis (or whomever) from right there and they drive over and fetch you. I was on my way in the rental 30 minutes after landing. Have their direct number handy because the courtesy phones were out of action when I arrived.

The advice about limited opening hours is good, both for arrival and departure. It is usually ok because the airport only runs in the daytime (no landing lights). If you arrive late or leave early you may need a taxi. Worst case you take the car back the afternoon before and they will drop you back at the condo, then you take a taxi next morning.

I would call and discuss because they are very flexible and used to this issue and the 'shuttle' is a staff member driving you in a pool car. I had a 10:45am flight, I arrived at the drop off office at 9:15am, they were busy but still had me to the airport by 9:40. I could have done it later, because arriving at the airport 30 minutes before departure is plenty even for the new 'Ohana by Hawaiian' flights that need TSA.

You mentioned that you have an early flight, so I assume you are flying Molokini not Ohana by Hawaiian?

The whole experience still has me smiling, because it is so pleasant compared to the drawn out nightmare of major airports like Kahului. You alight from the 'shuttle', it is 30 feet to the check in desk. They push your bag thru a hole in the wall behind them to a guy who will wheel it 40 feet to the plane. If you are not needing TSA you will walk 30 yards to a small waiting area until they call you for the 40 yard walk to your plane.

If it is a 'TSA-needed' flight they push it thru a hole to the side to the TSA person. They do need you to unlock the bag(s) as they have no x-ray machine, they open everything - they will relock and they are careful, you could not tell that they had even been in there - and you can stand and watch if you wish, they will chat to you like a human - imagine that!

For your TSA you walk 20 yards, go thru the usual process - note full inspections only, they have no TSA-Pre, but no worries, small planes so no big line - and all the TSA staff are friendly and helpful.

Compare all that to the hours of driving and then possibly hours at the airport needed to fly via OGG - and that assumes that the highway is not busy - or even closed.

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kapalua Airport - Avis locations

PlutoDoge,

Another tip, this time about rental cars at JHM. The advice given on this forum works well at JHM. Check with Costco or DHCR (Discount Hawaii Car Rental). No pre-pay needed, at least one other family member covered and you can keep checking and cancel/rebook if a lower price shows up.

On DHCR select 'Kaanapali (area shuttle)' and you will get up to 4 of the majors, all of which are at Halawai Dr. Ignore Hertz if they are quoted, they are further away and in a hotel lobby - and they are not usually competitive. Enterprise usually comes up the cheapest, that is who I used and they were very efficient and friendly.

Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kapalua Airport - Avis locations

Perfect, thanks to all of you for the responses. I'll do what's suggested to make sure I have a ride on time.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,782 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kapalua Airport - Avis locations

Great description, Ducks! I agree--JHM is such a nice way to come and go :-).

Reply to: Kapalua Airport - Avis locations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lahaina
Recent Conversations