We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing hotel

New Rochelle, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing hotel

We are invited to a wedding in October that will take place at the Sheraton at Ka'anapali Beach. The ratings were not wonderful and since we're flying from NY, we don't want a disappointing hotel but we do want to stay in the area. I'm a little confused between Ka'anapali, Lahaina, and Kapalua. The names of the hotels also confuse me--one is named Ka'anapali but appears to be in Lahaina! We will have a car but don't want to drive huge distances. Can you recommend a very upscale hotel not too far from the Sheraton? I've looked at the Montage Kapalua Bay and the Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach but the prices were over $1000/night!! What am I missing?

9 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,646 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing hotel

All of the West side has the same mailing address--which is Lahaina. Hence the confusion, and you aren't alone :-).

I'm surprised you are seeing 1K a night for the Hyatt, unless you are looking at suites or the new Residences? The main hotel shouldn't be near that. I would rec the Hyatt, the Westin, the Ritz Kapalua for options. Kapalua is about 10 minutes north of Kaanapali.

Here's a link to the Kaanapali Beach Resort Association's website. It has a map and other great info for you:

http://kaanapaliresort.com/

Edited: 03 April 2017, 04:52
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing hotel

Hi!

+ I think you would be very (!) happy at the Sheraton Ka'anapali ... but I also think that it would be wise to distance yourself a little from the wedding.

+ The resorts north of Lahaina use a Lahaina mailing address - which can be very confusing. Ugh! One real reason to make sure that you have a good map of Maui.

+ I agree with Nick above, I'm baffled at the $1,000 number for the Hyatt. Try again. You're traveling during low season, too!

The Hyatt is a great choice and an easy walk to the Sheraton. It's actually kinda perfect.

I never recommend the Westin, but the hotels in Kapalua are another good choice.

kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

Here's a map of the Ka'anapali resort area. If it comes up small, click on it. You'll see the Sheraton on Black Rock and the Hyatt at the far right-hand side of the screen.

One more important point: You're on a little sub-Forum for Lahaina - that isn't used much. What you really need is the full Island of Maui Forum (which incorporates the sub-Forums). Pull up the Maui Forums and take a look. That's where the information is - and there are many more readers.

Scroll down, and you'll see that we talk about accommodations constantly - as well as restaurants and activities. Note the Top Questions off to the right-hand side of the screen as well.

Edited: 03 April 2017, 05:46
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,049 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing hotel

Also, let us know what your budget is per night.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,510 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing hotel

ElleninNY, the Sheraton is an unusual place. How well you like it I think depends entirely on which Hale (Hawaiian word for "house" but in this case means "tower") you are in. Look at the map below.

sheraton-maui.com/images/488SM_ResortMap_Mar…

The Moana, Hoku and Nalu Hales are great. I'd stay at any of them in a heart beat. I am less enthused over the Anuenue, Lahaina and 'ohana Hales.

Glacier National...
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Choosing hotel

How upscale, in $$?

Moreland, Georgia
Level Contributor
215 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choosing hotel

If you are open to a condo Honua Kai is not to far from the Sheraton and could be considered an upscale complex. You get the benefits of a condo more space, full kitchen, larger lanais separate living and sleeping spaces. Of course you don't have room or maid service if those are important to you. We always stay in a condo the kitchen alone is reason enough for us. We don't cook dinners but just having a full size refrigerator for drinks, snacks and breakfast foods is a huge plus for us. Ymmv

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,646 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choosing hotel

The Sheraton is tired, the service sucks, and it's easily 5 years past renovations.

Level Contributor
36,925 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choosing hotel

Honua Kai is one to look into! Very modern, beautiful rooms and gorgeous grounds. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit in the Konea Tower and could not have been happier with our choice for this area of Maui. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choosing hotel

If you want casual with lots of Hawaiian programs and activities then I would recommend next door to the Sheraton , at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel.

There are some beautiful ocean front condos 2 doors away at The Whaler. These Are individually owned condos with kitchens. Most owners have large management companies book and manage their units.

Reply to: Choosing hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lahaina