We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trail Runners -Mt. Haleakala and the road to Hana.

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trail Runners -Mt. Haleakala and the road to Hana.

Family and I will be in Lahaina the week of Easter, are there any trails that I can run to that are close by...We will be staying at the Aston Papakea condos.

also, we are headed up to Mt. Haleakala just for the sunrise session and a short trail run, an hour or so and hopefully be on the road to Hana ...will there be ample time to enjoy the journey (few stops) Bamboo forest and other waterfall enroute to Hana.

Warm regards & TIA

Loren

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach
Aston at The Whaler on...
1,245 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trail Runners -Mt. Haleakala and the road to Hana.

Have you done any running at 10,000 feet?

I never recommend going to the summit of Haleakala and to Hana the same day. It will take at least 4-5 hours of driving just for the summit.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trail Runners -Mt. Haleakala and the road to Hana.

I dibble dabble elevations of 4,000 to 9,000. It'll be a short trot.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trail Runners -Mt. Haleakala and the road to Hana.

Just to help you get your bearings, Papakea is a bit past the town of Lahaina in Honokowai. Did you get the required permit for sunrise at Haleakalā? Yes, it would be a bit rough visiting Haleakalā and driving to Hana the same day.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trail Runners -Mt. Haleakala and the road to Hana.

You can drive 10 minutes north from Papkea to the Kapalua Trails - details at this link: - www.kapalua.com/activities/hiking-trails

You have a choice of easy to difficult and everything in between.

No way you should try both Haleakala and RTH on the same day, if you do you will not enjoy either. Note that the sun sets before 7pm even on the longest day.

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trail Runners -Mt. Haleakala and the road to Hana.

yes, reservations have been made through RESERVE.GOV. a whooping buck fifty!

I will reschedule Hana for the next day...as my wife is a person that literally takes her time to smell the roses.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trail Runners -Mt. Haleakala and the road to Hana.

Heads up.. only water fountains at the summit,(also no food) so you might want to prepare especially if you plan to enjoy a short trot. I got a laugh watching the young twenty somethings trot/jog back up the Sliding Sands trail. Ah, to be young again. Enjoy..

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,628 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trail Runners -Mt. Haleakala and the road to Hana.

LOL, I agree, Barefoot!

Glad you are going to split these up.

Make sure you take water on the Hana day too. Keep your Park Admission receipt (the 20.00 one) from Haleakala, too--it's good for 3 days for the Kipahulu side where the Pipiwai is. Also, heads up that the Pools of Oheo remain closed.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
8. Re: Trail Runners -Mt. Haleakala and the road to Hana.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2018, 14:17