We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sands of Kahana v. Maui Banyan or Kihei condos

Daly City...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
7 helpful votes
Sands of Kahana v. Maui Banyan or Kihei condos
Save

Hi everyone,

We are a couple in our early 60s and going to Maui for the first time late October. We are not sure if we stay at Sands of Kahana or Maui Banyan or condos in the Kihei area. Can you please let me know your opinions of both? Sands of Kahana looks nice but seem to have roaches which might be common for tropical weather. Thank you very much!

12 replies to this topic
La Costa, California
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
1. Re: Sands of Kahana v. Maui Banyan or Kihei condos
Save

I do know it's possible to get roaches anywhere on Maui but that the places all have exterminators every 3 months.

Beyond that, it depends on what you are looking for. Kahana happens to be within my favorite area of Maui, so the Sands would be my choice.

lots of people like Kihei though and most places there have a nice beach right across the road.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
67,833 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Sands of Kahana v. Maui Banyan or Kihei condos
Save

Roaches are common in Hawaii. But like peacenik says, pest control is a high priority for most places. If you are reading about folks seeing one here or there, don't worry. If they are talking about hundreds, that would be an infestation and I recommend staying away from a place like that!!

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
69,509 posts
396 reviews
719 helpful votes
3. Re: Sands of Kahana v. Maui Banyan or Kihei condos
Save

Kahana Sands would be my pick, head and shoulders over the others.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Sands of Kahana v. Maui Banyan or Kihei condos
Save

We have stayed at Maui Kamaole condos several times and always liked them, though next time we go we will try something different just for a change of pace. Before we went there the first time, I was worried because I had heard Kihei was all condos and not "resorty", But I actually prefer Kihei - THe south end of Kihei is actually a bit more relaxed in my mind and close to some wondrous beaches (Kamaole beach and those in Wailea). What I like about Maui Kamaole is that it's up a small hill across from the road and beach. Because of that you get great views while being a step removed. It's literally a five minute walk to Kamaole 3 (Kam3), which is a very nice beach.

yakima, washington
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
42 helpful votes
5. Re: Sands of Kahana v. Maui Banyan or Kihei condos
Save

I have stayed in timeshare units at both the Sands of Kahana and Maui Banyan. I think it’s a toss up between the two condos, neither is perfect.

Sands of Kahana is very nice but if you get a room by the road it will be very noisy. Another strike is no air conditioning. I did like the direct beach access although we went to other nicer west side beaches most of our stay. There is lots of parking and I liked the atrium layout of the buildings. I would only stay here again if I was guaranteed an oceanfront unit.

We honestly did not sleep well while staying there.

Maui Banyan is also nice and directly across the street from Kam 2 which is a much nicer beach than the beach in front of Sands of Kahana. The interiors of both condos were nice and in good condition. Maui Banyan does have air conditioning which is fabulous when those trade winds die and it’s hot out. Most units at Maui Banyan do not have any ocean view. Finding parking could be difficult and it might be a long walk from the parking garage to your unit. On the plus side there are lots of restaurants and shopping within walking distance of Maui Banyan.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
26,022 posts
6. Re: Sands of Kahana v. Maui Banyan or Kihei condos
Save

We just sold our condo at Maui Kamaole after 20 years. It's probably more expensive than Banyan, but for good reason. If it's in your budget, take a look! I don't like the way Banyan is crowded onto its parcel. Lots of concrete. MK has 316 units on 26 acres. Due to the hill, many 1BR units have ocean view. I wouldn't book anywhere in Hawaii if good A/C wasn't provided, even more important in the heat of autumn.

West Maui v. South Maui is an entirely different question!

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
903 posts
40 reviews
13 helpful votes
7. Re: Sands of Kahana v. Maui Banyan or Kihei condos
Save

The Maui Banyan has a weird layout with all buildings more or less perpendicular to the beach so no one has a decent view. Many have a wonderful view of the parking garage. Having said that, it does seem to be popular. As with all condos, check closely for decor and try to rent a specific unit #, so you know what you're getting

Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Sands of Kahana v. Maui Banyan or Kihei condos
Save

From our research I wouldn't think that Sands of Kahana would have a beach. When Our friends were there sand bags were being stacked along the shoreline. Plus it is in a very,windy area a with on going road excavating, infrastructure and reconstruction. No side walks or walk ing paths headed North from Sands of Kahana now.

At this time I think you should consider a Kihei condo.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
160 posts
48 reviews
25 helpful votes
9. Re: Sands of Kahana v. Maui Banyan or Kihei condos
Save

Kahana has had worsening erosion over the years and I wouldn't choose to stay there now. I've visited my parents when they stayed at Kahana Sands and they now book Kahana Falls when on that side of the island as they prefer the accommodations there. My family used to own at Maui Banyan for 20+ years and I would stay there again in a heartbeat, minus the condos that face the parking structure. Units in the G building facing south are best in my opinion. Roaches are a part of being in Hawaii unfortunately, and I've seen some in the nicest hotels on the islands. Never more than one at a time though.

Oregon City, Oregon
Level Contributor
65 posts
10. Re: Sands of Kahana v. Maui Banyan or Kihei condos
Save

We usually stay at the Banyan because you can find some ocean views, the complex is very well taken care of, and we love south Kihei. However, we just returned from 2 weeks at Maui Kamaole where we were in an oceanfront condo which had a HUGE grassy area for our three young kids to run around on. And it made for some killer stargazing. The other great thing about this complex is the size of the condos. We usually feel a little cramped when we stay in a condo but not this time! Highly recommend it. We stayed in H 108.

Reply to: Sands of Kahana v. Maui Banyan or Kihei condos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.