We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic into Lahaina and all of West Maui...Auwe!

Save Topic
Traffic into Lahaina and all of West Maui...Auwe!

Truly the death of West Maui if traffic into Lahaina is not addressed soon. Been 20 years people been talking about making 4 lanes mauka from 1000 peaks to Puamana...and the whole area makai to become one long stretch of beach parks using the current hwy to serve the string of parks. Maui mayor and council have failed all commuters into Lahaina area and beyond! So so sad, especially since the horrible traffic is the first impression so many tourists have after traveling for hours and arriving into this Maui mess. Auwe!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Molokini Snorkeling Adventure Aboard...
107 Reviews
US$110 per adult
Free Cancellation
Lanai Island Dolphin and Snorkel...
43 Reviews
US$118 per adult
Free Cancellation
Maui Sunset Dinner Cruise
143 Reviews
US$118 per adult
Free Cancellation
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,608 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic into Lahaina and all of West Maui...Auwe!

LOL, you're preaching to the choir when it comes to me :-). The last few days, it's been bad both ways--for several reasons, like rockfall, flooding near the road, and looki-lous stopping to take pics of the drowned cars at Papalaua.

At least Council is pressuring the State to postpone the "new" Olowalu seawall crap.

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic into Lahaina and all of West Maui...Auwe!

DH and I just came down from Lahaina back to Kihei and were shocked at how awful the traffic was. What's the reason behind it? Could it really be just lookie-loos? We drove up this morning and didn't have a problem and didn't even see anything worth gawking at.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,608 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic into Lahaina and all of West Maui...Auwe!

It's a number of things, Lisa. Saturdays are bad because of flight arrivals/departures, esp in the timeshare places. Then you've got locals doing errands, events, etc. It all adds up to a lot of wasted gas and time--for locals and visitors.

It also only takes *one* thing to mess traffic up for a long time. This morning there was a rockslide on the Pali, and that delayed things. Glad you missed that on your way out this morning, at least!

Edited: 18 September 2016, 11:11
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic into Lahaina and all of West Maui...Auwe!

Yes, bad first impression for sure. After killer flight and looking for food.

Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic into Lahaina and all of West Maui...Auwe!

Wouldn't need seawall in Olowalu if the Hwy was placed more mauka. Politicians time to Maka`ala...

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,608 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic into Lahaina and all of West Maui...Auwe!

Yes, and eventually, in about 2050, there will be a real bypass and the "coastal road" will be for scenic drives. Until then, we have to take what we can get from the Luna at the Governor's Palace.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,410 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic into Lahaina and all of West Maui...Auwe!

Ok, answered my questions as to "why". If we do decide to make a jaunt up there we'll avoid the weekend.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,608 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic into Lahaina and all of West Maui...Auwe!

If you come West in the morning on a weekend, you'll be fine. The afternoon traffic on weekends going south isn't that bad in normal conditions.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic into Lahaina and all of West Maui...Auwe!

"DH and I just came down from Lahaina back to Kihei and were shocked at how awful the traffic was. What's the reason behind it? Could it really be just lookie-loos?"

Lisa, I was shocked myself at the horrible traffic there this past March. I didn't think it was lookie-loos. I believe it is due to single lane per direction from Maaleaa all the way to Lahaina. Finally near Lahaina town they increase to two lanes per direction.

I just don't remember traffic being this bad many years ago. I think more and more tourists visit Maui, along with local residents, the single lane into West Maui just won't do anymore. They need to widen the road or make another route there.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic into Lahaina and all of West Maui...Auwe!

We just got back from Lahaina and the traffic was horrible. It took two hours to drive 17 miles. This was almost a daily thing. It was disappointing because you wanted to explore the island but let the traffic affect your decisions regarding that. It's like you were scared to go South and get caught in insane traffic. It was our first time to Maui and we said we would not go back due to the traffic. It wasted so much of our time on our road trips. Who wants to travel to a laid back island to be stuck in big city traffic jams?

Edited: 19 September 2016, 11:12
Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii