We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waimanalo Beach picnic

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Waimanalo Beach picnic

Hello, We are staying in Waikiki but going to spend an afternoon at Waimanalo beach. Is there a place that we could grab food for a picnic on the beach? Also, maybe buy some inexpensive beach towels and umbrellas?

thank you

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Waimanalo Beach
Waimanalo Beach
586 Reviews
Oahu, HI
6 replies to this topic
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
271 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waimanalo Beach picnic

If you are in central Waikiki, I recommend going to Mitsuwa Market in the International Market place. They have a wide variety of Musubi and bentos that are perfect for a picnic.

Another option is Foodland Farms at Ala Moana center. Very large selection of bentos ,sushi rolls and other take out food.

Plus there is the take out food at Whole Foods. One in Kahala and one in Kailua on the way to Waimanalo.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
International Market Place
International Market...
353 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Foodland
Foodland
237 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Center
Ala Moana Center
2,567 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Kahala Hotel & Resort
The Kahala Hotel & Resort
3,068 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waimanalo Beach
Waimanalo Beach
586 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waimanalo Beach picnic

If you are staying at a hotel you can grab a pool/beach towel from the hotel.

Beach towels can be found at many places, ABC Stores all over Waikiki, Walmart, Don Quijote, Longs Drugs, Costco, Sam's Club, etc.

Do not recall seeing umbrellas at ABCs and Longs, but all the others listed above carry them.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Don Quijote
Don Quijote
490 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Costco
Costco
90 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waimanalo Beach picnic

There are a couple of places to buy a plate lunch in Wainamalo, the chain L&L BBQ and Keneke's. We usually carry out from L&L but the best choices are hot meals and may not work for a picnic.

There is a small super market, Shima's in Waimanalo with a good poke section, they also make poke bowls. You could get a few kinds of poke and other picnic items, but they would need to be kept cold until lunchtime. Shima's has the usual supermarket stuff if poke isn't your thing. You will feel like a local shopping there.

Whatever you decide, it is best to have a way to keep cold foods cold until lunchtime. You can get a small styrofoam cooler and a bag of ice and keep food and drinks cold. If we want to just keep small food items cold, we freeze a couple of water bottles in our hotel mini fridge and get an insulated carry bag from the ABC store. The bottles and the bag make a quick small cooler.

Mentioned in this post
Keneke's
Keneke's
201 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waimanalo Beach
Waimanalo Beach
586 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waimanalo Beach picnic

There is also a good ice cream place in Waimanlo, Dave's. It is across the street from Shima's in a small strip mall and has locally made ice cream in tropical flaors, my favorite is coconut macadamia. It's good for a post beach stop. There is a shop in the strip mall that has locally made items and is also worth a browse. It's a good place for souvenirs that are not mass produced and cookie cutter. Unfortunately I can't remember the name but is easy to find.

Boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waimanalo Beach picnic

I believe it's East Honolulu Clothing Company...We missed it last year, because it sounded so tacky, then I looked at their website, and I was kicking myself....

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waimanalo Beach picnic

You'll want to picnic at the Waimanalo Bay Recreational Area, not the beach park. Two seperate entrances. Go to Keneke's for take out then to Dave's for ice cream Yum!! Local support outside of Waikiki is always a good thing!!

Mentioned in this post
Waimanalo Beach
Waimanalo Beach
586 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Keneke's
Keneke's
201 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI