We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waimanalo Beach Wedding, June 2012 - Ceremony Time?

Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Waimanalo Beach Wedding, June 2012 - Ceremony Time?

We are getting married at Waimanalo Beach in June this year.

We have booked the ceremony but are still deciding on the best time of day to hold our ceremony.

We would like to give ourselves the best opportunity of having clear skies & lower winds. Obviously we know we can't control the weather, we are just looking for the most optimal times for the conditions we desire in June.

We do not want a sunset service as we would like our photos to show off the beautiful colours of the beach and the sand.

We are also aware that this is school holiday time in Hawaii and imagine the beach may be more busy the usual.

2:30pm was the time suggested to us.

Can anyone else recommend the best time for a beach wedding at Waimanalo that should allow us optimal chance of blue skies, calmer winds and smaller crowds.

Thank you very much!!

7 replies to this topic
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waimanalo Beach Wedding, June 2012 - Ceremony Time?

My suggestion for you would be a morning wedding. From a photography standpoint the best time for photos is in the morning or evening. 2:30 might be a bit bright. Talk to your photographer and ask him or her when they would suggest for that location. As a general rule, morning and evening is the best time for beach photography. Even with a sunset ceremony you will still get some wonderful detail. The sunset isn't visible from that beach anyway so you will just get softer light.

Again, talk to your photographer and they can tell you the best time for the location you've chosen.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,051 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waimanalo Beach Wedding, June 2012 - Ceremony Time?

If the ceremony is on a weekend, I would schedule as early in the morning as possible. If during the week, I would say late morning. Reasons? On weekends this area fills up quickly and there will be lots of people around. It won't be as crowded during the week. Thing is, it rains frequently in the earlier morning hours. Of course, it rains in the mornings on the weekends too, you just have to decide which is more important. Weather or crowds.

Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waimanalo Beach Wedding, June 2012 - Ceremony Time?

Thanks for the replies so far!

The wedding is set for a Thursday. So it is a weekday but I know this is also school holiday time and I'm guessing that even though adults may be working this could still make crowds busier then on a usual Thursday.

I have spoken with our planner & photographer who originally suggested a time between 2:30-4 but then they also recommended earlier in the day.

When you say it rains in the morning do you mean 'heavy rain' or 'showers'. June has low rainfall compared with other months (in the stats) but we are aware of trade showers & winds.

So I guess I'm still wondering which is the better bet

1. Morning wedding at ?:??time

Or

2. Afternoon wedding at ?:??time

Taking into consuderation

Weather - optimal would be clearer skies, lower winds & beautiful ocean colours

Crowds - understand it's a public beach but on a thurs in school holidays best time to beat them.

Thanks so much. The more information I have the better equipped I feel to make this decision.

I read rainfall

Edited: 03 March 2012, 08:55
Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waimanalo Beach Wedding, June 2012 - Ceremony Time?

Please ignore the last line of the reply I posted "I read rainfall' unsure what happened there!

Thanks.

Edited: 03 March 2012, 09:05
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,557 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Waimanalo Beach Wedding, June 2012 - Ceremony Time?

First, I would pick Waimanalo Bay State Recreationa Area as the location, not Waimanalo Beach Park....

Much more beautiful setting, with ironwood trees along the beach, no nearby development, and would offer spectacular shots looking inland towards the Koolau Pali (cliff).

it will be less crowded, there is far more room to find a quiet place for the ceremony, and it has lots of parking close by the beach (cleaner restrooms too).'

I would have the ceremony at 10:30. Well-after any early morning showers, but before the heat of the day, and the typically stronger afternoon winds. By this time most of the clouds wil have disappeared or will be nestled up against the mountains.

Plus, it will be over in time for lunch !!!!

Edited: 03 March 2012, 09:13
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,489 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Waimanalo Beach Wedding, June 2012 - Ceremony Time?

Aloha,

I would also pick Waimanalo State Recreation area.

A lot more quiet and intimate.

Aloha

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,051 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waimanalo Beach Wedding, June 2012 - Ceremony Time?

I agree, 10:30 am would the perfect time for this wedding.

Reply to: Waimanalo Beach Wedding, June 2012 - Ceremony Time?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Waimanalo