We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waimanalo Beach Cottages

Carlsbad, New Mexico
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Waimanalo Beach Cottages

Okay,

I have booked a cottage from April 23rd to April 30th. It's a two bedroom, fairly cheap but super cute from what I see. I am only fearing that we are going to be too far from Waikiki. We are wanting something in between lively and also quiet a times. I don't want to be too far away from restaurants. I am worried I might regret my first trip staying too far. Any opinions. My ultimate vacation would be nice beaches, quiet at times, grilling with a view of the beach, good food. We are renting a car the entire stay.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
17 replies to this topic
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,023 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Waimanalo Beach Cottages

The Waikiki Banyan is in a good location, but set back about 2 blocks from the ocean. We park our rental car there when we visit, as we really enjoy the Diamond Head side of Waikiki, near the zoo, park, and nice beach (very favorable parking rates). I've not, however, stayed at the Banyan.

My favorite place for a first meal and mai tai is Tiki's, and you'll walk right past it on the way to the beach from the Banyan. Other good, close places to eat: Ono Hawaiian Food, Side Street Inn and Lulu's, but of course, the entire strip of Waikiki is very walkable, so you can enjoy any and all restaurants in the area by foot.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki Banyan
Waikiki Banyan
549 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Side Street Inn
Side Street Inn
742 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Waimanalo Beach Cottages

If you don't like high-rises, buzzy areas or lots of people then stick with your Waimanalo cottage. It's gorgeous over there. You will also be much closer to the water than you would be if you stayed at the Banyan. You can easily drive into Waikiki to spend the day or a few times during your trip. It's not that far!!

Mentioned in this post
Waimanalo Beach
Waimanalo Beach
590 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Waimanalo Beach Cottages

Waikiki is terrible. It's congested with high rises and the beaches are no good. There is lots of history in Waikiki but locals don't go to Waikiki (well except the 19 yos who want to go bar hopping). The cottages are excellent and it's set on a beautiful part of the beach. You may want to do some grocery shopping in town (near airport) before driving out there since you have kitchen access. You're also not too far from Kailua and Kaneohe where you can find restaurants, Whole Foods, etc. Check out their Thursday late afternoon farmers market in the Whole Foods shopping center! Do watch out for some meth addicts and homeless folks further down the beach. They usually don't bother anyone, but I used the public ladies bathroom at the state park and well, they were doing drugs in there.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
705 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Waimanalo Beach Cottages

We stayed at the Banyan but that was eight years ago. Was $25 a day just to park the rental car. Nice place only two blocks from the beach. Pool was nice and mostly shaded in the afternoon.

I was hoping you would stay at the Wiamanolo Beach Cottages because that is where my wife and I agree we would like to stay when we visit Oahu. They look really nice.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,925 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Waimanalo Beach Cottages

Stick w/your original plan to stay in Waimanalo. It's not that far from anything and you will have a beautiful beach all to yourself, most times.

We just got back from staying in Kailua, again, a beautiful beach w/absolutely no crowds. Kailua will have everything that you need as far as restaurants and shopping, be it grocery or otherwise.

Get the Foodland card (grocery), as soon as you get there.

Mentioned in this post
Waimanalo Beach
Waimanalo Beach
590 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Foodland
Foodland
240 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Waimanalo Beach Cottages

This is an old thread. The op already had to cancel going to Waimanalo, is coming on different dates and is now staying in Ko Olina.

Mentioned in this post
Waimanalo Beach
Waimanalo Beach
590 Reviews
Oahu, HI
California
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Waimanalo Beach Cottages

Can anyone provide me the rental place that's down the street from Waimanalo Beach Cottages??

Mentioned in this post
Waimanalo Beach
Waimanalo Beach
590 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Reply to: Waimanalo Beach Cottages
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Waimanalo