We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New england family holiday

manchester
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
New england family holiday

Hi,

We are a family of 5 (kids ages 18, 16 and 13) who are travelling to America for the first time next summer. I just wondered if anyone could help me with a few questions.

1. Our itinery will be something like this...2 nights Boston, 1 night enroute to bar harbor, 3 or 4 nights in bar harbor, 5 nights or so in the white mountains. Do you think this sounds ok with teenagers?

2. Do you think these places offer enough to keep sporty/active teens occupied?

3. In Boston i was thinking of just having a good look round + shopping and also taking in the aquarium. In bar harbor...biking round acadia and whale watching tour. White mountains...camping, canoeing, scenic railway and any other ideas appreciated.

4. What accommodation do you suggest in these places and am i missing anything out....is cape cod a must see or rhode island?

Any information would be great. Also would it be difficult for a first time visitor to navigate his way out of boston airport.

Thanks. :)

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New england family holiday

Your timing sounds good. I wouldn't worry about RI or Cape Cod, since I think you've got plenty to do north of Boston.

In Boston, honestly, I'd skip the aquarium. If you want to have a day at a museum, I'd go for the MFA (museum of fine arts) and Gardener museum around the corner instead. The museum of science is a little "young" for your kids, but they have laser shows (laser floyd, laser beatles, laser 70s rock, etc) on the weekends at the planetarium - check out www.mos.org for details. They have a good mix of new and old music, so it just depends what they're doing on a daily basis.

Since you only have 2 days in Boston and you have active teenagers, I'd suggest a duck tour to get oriented, and then deciding what looks interesting from there. Newbury street/the back bay has good shopping and better people watching. Lots of people like to see Harvard, which has a couple of nice museums (although I've only been to the Fogg art museum myself) and more people watching around harvard square.

Your plan for acadia sounds good, although it may be pretty cold out on the water for whale watching. There are a couple of windjammer (wooden sailboat) cruises and working lobsterboat cruises that you may want to consider instead.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Newbury Street
Newbury Street
2,220 Reviews
Boston, MA
manchester
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New england family holiday

Thanks very much for your reply / suggestions local galboston. I will have a look at the museums.:)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New england family holiday

Sounds like you've thought it out pretty well. On your way to Bar Harbor you might want to make a stop in either Portsmouth NH, Ogunquit, Kittery, Kennebunkport, or Portland.

Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
NH
Level Contributor
278 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New england family holiday

I would just take into consideration what types of things your kids like to do/see when deciding upon the museum vs aquarium.

I've been to the MFA a couple times and personally like the aquarium more! Maybe it's my love of animals though. If they're the type to get bored fast...the MFA might be a bit much.

All other suggestions I would agree with!

manchester
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New england family holiday

Thankyou everyone for your comments.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New england family holiday

In Bar Harbor, get lodging near the free bus route so that the kids can take off on their own one day when you are too tired to drive them.

In Boston, my nephews (13 ad 15) loved the tour of Fenway Park and coming back that night for a game. They also enjoyed the Duck Tour and the Freedom Trail, especially Quincy Market, which is very touristy but fun none the less, and the USS Constitution Ship. We got a great deal via Expedia on a "Junior Suite" at the Omni Parker House which is right downtown. I would recommend NOT renting a car until you get ready to leave Boston. It's much easier to use the public transportation, which goes everywhere including the airport, so get lodging somewhere near "the T" (Boston's subway and bus system.)

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Fenway Park
Fenway Park
13,913 Reviews
Boston, MA
Quincy Market
Quincy Market
2,995 Reviews
Boston, MA
USS Constitution
USS Constitution
1,529 Reviews
Boston, MA
Omni Parker House
Omni Parker House
8,690 Reviews
Boston, MA
NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New england family holiday

Don't cross out the aquarium, the last time I took my son there he was 25 and we always have a great time.

If there is any chance of flying into a different airport, I would definitely recommend it. Try Manchester NH, less traffic and lots easier to get out of and you won't be thrown right into big city traffic jams. You could also get a hotel outside the city, just be sure it is on the commuter line or the T line, then you won't have to drive or park in the city.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New england family holiday

If you're a camping/canoeing/scenery/hiking type of family , consider the Moosehead lake area in Maine. The Lake Winnepesaukee area in New Hampshire is popular, but more swimming & water-ski oriented with a few more nighttime amusements/ funparks etc.

I mention these instead of the White Mountains, though I've never been to the white mountains in Summer. For me, you gotta be a lake person in the summer time!

Mentioned in this post
Moosehead Lake
Moosehead Lake
244 Reviews
Greenville, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Rockville, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
993 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New england family holiday

Although I am a big fan of the art gallery in Boston I absolutely love the aquarium (as did my daughter). One of the tours in Boston might be a good option as there is a lot to see.

If you want to do a whale watch I would suggest going out of someplace in MA vs Bar Harbor. You're more likely to see more/larger species of whales. I'd check out the Margaret Todd in Bar Harbor; really nice schooner boat. Cape Cod is beautiful but you really can't do the cape and Acadia and the White Mountains unless you really want to do a lot of driving. I'd do a loop from Boston to Maine, over to the White Mountains and back. Good suggestion earlier about flying into an airport other than Logan. It's certainly doable but there are easier ways to go. I think all of the places that you are looking at will be wonderful for teenagers. Camden/Rockport/Boothbay Harbor are nice towns to visit on the way up to Bar Harbor. Bar Harbor is a little bit of a tourist spot but you cannot beat Acadia National Park. If you guys are even the least bit outdoors types you won't want to leave and you'll find that 3-4 nites is not enough. I personally think more time in Acadia and a little less in the White Mountains. The top of Mt Washington is worth a trip if the weather is good. Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Maine
Maine
United States
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
656 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Mount Washington
Mount Washington
White Mountains, NH
10. Re: New england family holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2007, 08:14