We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nova Scotia

Winchester, Kentucky
Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Nova Scotia

Does anybody know if there is a ferry or a boat that does day trips to Nova Scotia from Bar Harbor?

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nova Scotia

There is no ferry or boat that does day trips, or any kind of trip, from Bar Harbor or from Portland to Nova Scotia. There used to be. There is no more. Hasn't been one for two or three years. There is talk of someday having one again. But so far it's only talk.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nova Scotia

At this point in time there is no ferry or boat that travels between Maine and Nova Scotia...you can drive to Nova Scotia but that would not be possible for a day trip.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nova Scotia

Hi Winchester!

Sorry, no ferry, or boat of any kind, to Nova Scotia. The ferry was hemorrhaging money, and stayed in business only on government subsidies. There was a change of government in Nova Scotia in 2009, and the new cabinet canceled the ferry two years ago.

In the summer months, you can take short coastal ferries through the Fundy Isles of New Brunswick, from Campobello Island (where President Franklin Delano Roosevelt had his summer place) to Deer Island and on to the New Brunswick mainland, if you'd like to soak up some coastal scenery. Good luck in finding a clear, sunny morning to do it!

I live in west-central Nova Scotia, and I've never ever taken this ferry. It was very costly, and after you consider the time involved for boarding and making your connections, it usually consumed less time to drive to Maine than to wait for the ferry.

If you were driving to Nova Scotia from Bangor, ME located on I-95, it would take you about 7 hours to drive to Halifax. If you could take a ferry, there's an hour's drive to Bar Harbor, an hour wait for lining up, boarding and disembarking from the ship, a three hour ferry crossing, and another three hour drive to Halifax. See why we would always save our money and take the freeway instead!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Winchester
Winchester
Virginia
Maine
Maine
United States
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nova Scotia

Interesting perspective, Capetien. And remember the first year of The Cat when fisherman were killed in Yarmouth? Not good.

Something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet is that there IS a ferry from St. John, NB to Digby, Nova Scotia. And a nice ferry crossing it is.

Mentioned in this post
Saint John
Saint John
New Brunswick, Canada
Digby
Digby
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
5. Re: Nova Scotia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2013, 17:28