We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling cheap!

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Traveling cheap!

Traveling alone to San Fran later this week and I'd like to explore the city while keeping things very cheap.

I've booked a one day-long tour with Dylan's that'll allow me to see Alcatraz and most of the more popular areas.

Tips on getting around for cheap during the other two days?? I'm not interested in any fine dining or shopping. Just mostly wanting to soak up the city in the three days I'll be there. On day 4 I will be a cousin and will ask her to take to wine country.

Mentioned in this post
Dylan's Tours
Dylan's Tours
2,560 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
8 replies to this topic
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling cheap!

Take MUNI. Visit Golden Gate Park, walk through the Haight, walk along Fort Point, down Columbus and through North Beach.Other than that, don't know what your interests are.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,638 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Columbus Motor Inn
Columbus Motor Inn
1,305 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
North Beach
North Beach
266 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
274 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling cheap!

Check out this website:

http://sf.funcheap.com/

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,874 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling cheap!

If you've already paid for lodging and airfare, then you've already paid for your largest expense unless you want to splurged little (which you don't).

Sure, you could pay for $30-50 plates at a restaurant, but you can eat places like delis, fast-casual or Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, burritos, pizza, some diners, etc for $8 to $15 per person a meal (without alcohol or expensive drinks). If you want to reduce eating costs more, pick up foods like breads, cheeses, fruits, nuts, etc from grocery stores (trader Joes, Safeway, etc) and don't eat out every meal. Go to Acme bakery (or some other bakeries around) to get really good bread and you will not be sad that you are "just" eating bread for part of your meal since they are really delicious unlike typical icky packaged grocery store breads.

You can keep yourself entertained for very little cost in San Francisco. Walk around, see neighborhoods, go on free sfcityguides tours go see sights. Get a muni pass or pay for individual rides--it's not very expensive in the grand scheme either way.

If you want to go to the larger museums, admission might be $15 to $35 per person, but you can look up costs for museums you're interested in and decide if they're worth visiting to you.

Drinking alcohol can add up in cost, but it seems like you're not that interested. Plays range from cheap to expensive. Goldstar.com or a booth in Union Square (is that still there?) sometimes have discounted tickets for certain activities of those interest you.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Union Square
Union Square
1,889 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,871 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling cheap!

You definitely want to do a self–walking Tour of the murals of the Mission district as well as a walking tour of Chinatown. There are lots of tours of this type -- just Google it

Mentioned in this post
Mission District
Mission District
458 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Coloma, California
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling cheap!

Go to the S.F. Guides web site and take a look at free walking tours of various neighborhoods.

These are given by volunteers and donations are greatly appreciated at the conclusion of the tour. These donations keep the program going.

www.sfcityguides.org/

California
Level Contributor
535 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling cheap!

MUNI is cheap and goes to all of the top stops for tourists. stick to ethnic places for cheap food. mexican,viet namese,chinese are filling.

San Diego
Level Contributor
400 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling cheap!

Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Upon reaching the other side, either walk back (the views ARE different), or walk (less than a mile) to the Marin Headlands. (By foot, after exiting the bridge, you'll walk underneath and trek up Conzelman Road.

Ten minutes (or less) later, you can look back upon the City, or keep walking to the Marin Headlands, and gaze upon the Pacific.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge
43,481 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Marin Headlands
Marin Headlands
1,825 Reviews
Marin County, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
414 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling cheap!

Utilize Uber Pool to get around (easier than a bus for many trips). I can get across town for about $5.

Stay away from Fishermans Wharf and Union Square for the cheapest drinks and restaurants. For example in the Castro you can get 2 for 1 drinks during happy hour for about $6.

Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
16,288 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,889 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Castro
The Castro
844 Reviews