We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver recommendation

UK
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Driver recommendation

Hi we want to do the napa valley wine train on my 50th Birthday but we need to get there from the Argonaut hotel, I spoke to the concierge and the price for a hotel car was very very expensive. I wondered if anyone could recommend a driver, there are 4 of us, we need to be at the train for a 10.30 check in and the train returns at 14.30 and we would then want taking straight back to the Argonaut hotel. I know there is an option to go by boat but it takes a lot longer and I really want to keep the experience as short as possible as we plan to do the Alcatraz night time tour when we get back. I would really appreciate any recommendations and prices.

Many Thanks

11 replies to this topic
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,147 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver recommendation

What was the price the hotel quoted? Most car services charge $75-100/hour and up (with a 6 hour or so minimum for wine country). Maybe speak with a taxi driver and see if you can negotiate something better?

UK
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver recommendation

Thanks yes that’s what I would like to do but wondered if anyone could recommend a taxi driver that I could negotiate with, ithe hotel quoted $120 per hour with a six hour minimum charge due to waiting around. My daughter says just jump in an uber but I will worry about availability on the way back. Would rather book something upfront and know the cost and that it will be ready and waiting to bring us back but that just seemed crazy expensive to me!

If I got a car into London from my house (which is about 1.5 hours away) it would be maximum of £120 (so around $165 each way) and they wouldn’t charge any extra for waiting (maybe that’s just a uk thing, they would charge extra if you went massively overtime but if it’s a planned trip it’s just a set amount each way) anyway with that in mind I would hope to do the trip for around $350 - $400 all included.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,147 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver recommendation

You could try getting a quote from Associated Limo or Grand Limousine. Also, ask the hotel for two one-way quotes to compare (I doubt it will be cheaper).

You can't compare conditions and prices in one location with another -- in the US, car services are more up-market services (and we don't have mini-cabs, just like London doesn't have airport shuttle services).

Maybe take the ferry there, but get a car service back to SF?

UK
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver recommendation

Many thanks for the recommendations and suggestions I will get a quote

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver recommendation

I have seen people post ads on Craigslist, asking for a driver for these types of trips.

Maybe post an ad there or look at something like TaskRabbit?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
50,368 posts
1,670 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver recommendation

Not your exact trip, but we have used the same car service, and some rather convoluted trips, and have always been pleased - Seven-24 Limo.

We’ve used them maybe 25x/year, for about 10 years, and they have been perfect.

Have no idea what their price would be, but worth a quote.

Best of luck,

Hunt

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,624 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driver recommendation

You can also try Wingz.me

https://www.wingz.me

It is rideshare like Uber but you can book in advance and fixed rate. I just did a quote one way for 4 people from Argonaunt to Napa Wine Train and it is $167.

Used to be airport transfer only but now they do point to point as well.

Edited: 31 December 2017, 07:03
Mentioned in this post
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driver recommendation

In my opinion, the wine train is not worth this time nor money.

If you really want to see wine country, rent a car and visit a few wineries (and after the fires, they would love to have visitors). It is possible to do this in a reasonable way. Either have a designated driver or sip/spit.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,227 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driver recommendation

I agree with Madeline.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driver recommendation

Five Emerald Limo is fantastic. Larry is a great driver if you can get him, but you can't go wrong. They are my "go to" car service in SF.

Reply to: Driver recommendation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted