We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doyle Drive to Golden Gate Bridge Closed April 27-30

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Doyle Drive to Golden Gate Bridge Closed April 27-30

I've been waiting for this announcement and dreading it at the same time.

The approach to the Golden Gate Bridge from Lombard St. and Marina Blvd (Doyle Drive) wil be closed from 5PM April 27 to 5AM April 30 for demolishment.

This would NOT be a weekend to try to cross the Golden Gate bridge by car nor try to get to the south Vista Point. The open approachs (via Park Presidio (Hiway 1) and Lincoln Blvd in the Presidio) are bound to be a mess. I would stay clear of this area in a car.

Anyone considering riding a bike over the Golden Gate that weekend, it should be business as usual.

Afterwards traffic will flow on half of the new Presidio Parkway while the other half is constructed. Final completion is 2015 I believe.

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,772 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doyle Drive to Golden Gate Bridge Closed April 27-30

Thank goodness this death trap is coming down. We had a friend about five years ago who was hit from behind and pushed into oncoming traffic - and didn't survive.

Let's hope a traffic barrier on the bridge itself will eventually follow.

sf
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Doyle Drive to Golden Gate Bridge Closed April 27-30

SFI I second the motion, and at least they are doing the closure on a non holiday weekend- This must be a private company, its to rational for Cal Trans.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
91 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doyle Drive to Golden Gate Bridge Closed April 27-30

what a shame.. that's the WE im in SF. and I wanted to go over the bridge..

would plan to go on sunday.. so not a good idea?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,009 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doyle Drive to Golden Gate Bridge Closed April 27-30

You can still bike over the bridge as Sal said or if you want to get closer without driving or biking -- take a bay cruise :-)

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doyle Drive to Golden Gate Bridge Closed April 27-30

Just to clarify, the closure will begin at 8 PM on Friday and last until 5 AM on Monday. No need to sweat a visit on Friday afternoon.

Anyone biking or walking across the Golden Gate Bridge should expect business as usual. Driving, however, will be a challenge.

For those of you planning on visiting the Golden Gate Bridge by public transit, please note that Muni's 28 line will NOT be running in the area. Instead, Golden Gate Transit will be running shuttles every 15 minutes from the Transbay Terminal, Mission Street, and 7th & Market to the GGB. Plan accordingly!

http://goldengate.org/news/doyleclosure/

P.S. There will be more frequent ferry service to Sausalito, so this will be an especially good weekend to go biking.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doyle Drive to Golden Gate Bridge Closed April 27-30

Ooops, thanks davdaven for the correction on the time of closure. However, I would not try to get close the bridge by car anytime that afternoon.

The announcement in the paper said they had notified 20,000 people living nearby about the noise over the weekend, but I guess I'm not close enough to be one of those.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's being replaced -- and the new structure looks very nice -- part is a tunnel -- and getting rid of the Doyle Drive viaduct should open up the views of the Presidio waterfront. It's just going to be one noisy weekend.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
91 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doyle Drive to Golden Gate Bridge Closed April 27-30

Thx for the information.

As I'm actually leave SF to continue on the HW1 towards LA, and I only take my car on sunday - to drive across the bridge - just for the "ride".

But I guess I'll skip that and rather look at the bridge itself - rather than driving across it.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doyle Drive to Golden Gate Bridge Closed April 27-30

An update from today's paper on this weekend's closure: www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi…

And more info here: www.presidioparkway.org/construction_info/

Either things will be a zoo or everyone will stay away and this will be a quiet weekend in the Marina.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,568 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doyle Drive to Golden Gate Bridge Closed April 27-30

** "Either things will be a zoo or everyone will stay away and this will be a quiet weekend in the Marina." **

Uh-uh. The demo work will go 24 hours, and the bridge district has suggested to nearby residents that if they've been longing for a restful weekend at Tahoe or Half Moon Bay, this would be a good weekend to go.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doyle Drive to Golden Gate Bridge Closed April 27-30

By "quiet" I meant "nobody around" ... as in the 'hood is dead.

I would have bailed but if kitty must suffer so will I.

This weekend is also Opening Day on Bay and a Beer Fest at Fort Mason. We'll see how it goes.