We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Friday

Birkenhead, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Black Friday

We are in the Union Square area on Black Friday what are the best department store for my wife to go too?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,667 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Friday

All of them! ;) Seriously, it really depends on her taste and budget. Macy's has something for everyone's budget. Nordrtrom is about the same but slightly higher end. Saks and Bloomingdale I tend to have more sticker shock during the rest of the year. Then there are the bargain basement types like Ross.

If she loves shoes, she must must must go to DSW. ? 5 levels of shoe heaven. The individual brands and specialty stores will be great too. You really can't go wrong anywhere in the area.

So will you be accompanying her or will you find alternative activities for the day? :p It will be a super hectic busy but very festive day. Happy shopping!

Edited: 06 November 2013, 21:20
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,088 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Friday

http://www.unionsquareshop.com

Start with A. It is a very good place to start.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Friday

For discount stuff there are also Loehmanns and Marshalls not far from Union Square.

If you're going along for the day, I hope you can tolerate heavy crowds of people grabbing for bargains. The San Francisco stores are less awful than some big box stores where people are trampling and getting trampled in the crush for sale items when the doors open--but IMO, black Friday at most large stores is close to intolerable.

I know many people who refuse to go anywhere near large shopping areas on Black Friday. If you do not especially enjoy shopping to begin with, you may want to plan alternate activities while your wife shops as chinita mentions.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,667 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Friday

I am not a shopaholic and avoid the malls outlets and areas like this on Black Friday. It is very overwhelming. You'll find me hiking somewhere that day instead. But I know folks who make a sport of this.

Forgot another store... Neiman Marcus. I never shop there but it is one of those flagship department store as well.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Friday

Macy's is opening at 8 PM on Thanksgiving (Thursday).

I was checking out the Vacaville Premium Outlets schedule, they open at 6 PM on Thanksgiving, and stores start to stagger opening up to some opening at Midnight, but many are in the 6 to 8 PM range. (Used as an example of what time stores are planning to open).

So use the internet and/or buy the local paper on Thanksgiving Morning and check out your options, what are the big sale items, and what time they open.

6. Re: Black Friday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2013, 04:45
Edited: 07 November 2013, 04:45
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black Friday

Black Friday shopping is major league shopping, so make sure she puts her game face on. It is serious business.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Black Friday

Get there early in the day and it's not as bad. Most stores will have advertisements in the SF Chronicle on Thanksgiving day (the largest paper of the year, usually). That will help her decide which bargains to target.

Many stores open at a stupidly early time on Black Friday (4:00 am or so) and offer specific bargains good only for the first few people in line. If she's not one of those, you can find many other bargains.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Black Friday

As the OP is from the UK and we hear that our stuff at regular prices is still a bargain for Europeans, I'd take chinita's idea and go for a hike. Then shop Saturday or Sunday when the insanity of Black Friday has died down.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Black Friday

Here is a link to a website that tracks the Black Friday deals and ads...

http://www.theblackfriday.com/

It has both the Macy's Thanksgiving Night ad, and then the Black Friday ad, and many more.