We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-stop flight destinations from SFO

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Non-stop flight destinations from SFO

We are planning vacation for next year. We have a 1 year old so we are looking for places we can go to that are non stop flight from SFO and within 5 hours of flight. preferably somewhere tropics other than Hawaii and Mexico.

I first wanted to go somewhere in the Caribbean but all the islands seem to be 1 stop. Any ideas?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-stop flight destinations from SFO

What time of year and for how long?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,942 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-stop flight destinations from SFO

No Cancun or Mayan Riviera? I think there's a direct flight but you have to be willing to pay for it. Looking for all tropical location? You have done all the Hawaiian Islands?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,280 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-stop flight destinations from SFO

2500 miles and tropical. Non stops to Latin america on lan

Miami would be one US option and you can drive to a resort

You can see from a map where the bay area is and 2500 miles away tropical places

Not sure how long the OP wants to go for makes a difference

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-stop flight destinations from SFO

Time of stay can result in better deals. And I don't think we should be recommending any place until we know when they are going. No sense recommending a place during the height of the hurricane or mosquito seasons.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,942 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-stop flight destinations from SFO

Was going to suggest Miami too. Definitely nonstop from SFO. There are also non stop flights to Orlando.

My friends in Tampa and Anna Maria Island on the Gulf Coast keep saying I have to visit too. The barrier islands out there are beautiful. But no direct flights to Tampa.

So.Cal
Level Contributor
319 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-stop flight destinations from SFO

Some good suggestions so far, but keep in mind that none of these destinations are within a 5 hour TRIP time. Yes, actual flight time might be about 5 hours (SF to Miami), but check-in, security, boarding, taxi/takeoff/landing/deplaning, & baggage claim time will make your total trip closer to 7 hours - or more. Add 1 stop and the total travel time would be even more. With a 1 year old, that makes a huge difference. If I were you, I'd be looking at somewhere like San Diego (not quite tropical, but close) or some of the nicer Mexico locations.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,515 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-stop flight destinations from SFO

Stopping once might not be as bad as you think. Depending on the airport, the layover might be short, the walk between flights short and you'll have the opportunity to eat 'real food' and walk around a little. Compared to the jet lag, the change of scenery (even if it's lovely scenery) and the overall length of the transfer, I'm not sure the toddler is going to care one way or the other as long as the layover is relatively short.

For example, United has flights to Cancun with layovers on the outbound of only 31 minutes (via Houston). Many of the returns from Cancun to SFO are non-stop. Still, the outbounds will take close to 7 hours and the returns close to 6.

A little shorter and equally relaxing with a toddler, Los Cabos. US Airways flies out of San Jose to PHX with a 31 minute layover. The return is non-stop. Transfer time: 4-1/2 hours outbound; 3 hours return.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,942 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Non-stop flight destinations from SFO

Let's wait for OP to return to say why no Mexico or Hawaii as those are the easiest on flight spots from the Bay Area. And when and for how many nights. I agree one stop may not be that bad either depending on the child and family. Unless of course it's a really short trip.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Non-stop flight destinations from SFO

People, you are forgetting what happens to babies' ears (and as a result everyone else's ears) every time the plane goes up and down. I am guessing that is why they want to avoid any unnecessary stops.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,942 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Non-stop flight destinations from SFO

I say with good knowledge with many babies that not all babies or adults for that matter experience ear isues during flights.