We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moab Itinerary

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Moab Itinerary

We will be driving from Park City and staying overnight in Moab in July. We only have two days in Moab and want to make sure we see all the highlights. We will get to Moab about 11am and can leave late on day 2. Just from reading other posts, it's seems as though Canyonlands, Arches and Dead Horse are the main attractions. Do you think we can do all 3 in two days? I'm looking for any itinerary suggestions to see the main attractions in a good route. We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Moab
Moab
Utah
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moab Itinerary

If you are looking for specific recommendations for the parks, then just ask, and the forum can list the highlights.

Yes, Arches(a full day) and Canyonlands/DHP SP can be seen in two full days. Arches has a lot of distinctive features spread out that requires a full day to try and hit. Plan your visit on the coolest day, and consider the longish hike up to Delicate arch for the evening/sunset.

Canyonlands consists of a scenic drive with a few viewpoints which do not require prolonged hikes. You can combine Canyonlands and the view of the river at DHP park in an easy day.

In the afternoons when it is the hottest, you can consider the scenic drive/routes for a car tour. These routes consist of SR 128 departing Moab to the east, and potash road which travells from Moab to the west.

www.discovermoab.com

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moab Itinerary

I would say go into Arches on day one, so you can hike Delicate Arch for sunset. The Windows area, Park Ave, Balanced Rock, Double Arch all are very short hikes that can be done from the main road. Check about availability for a guided tour of the Fiery Furnace. It's spectacular.

The second day, you could hit both Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point. They are accessed by the same road, albeit with different turnoffs. Mesa Arch is a place for great sunrise photos. Here is a good description of some of the hikes you can do in the Island of the Sky district of Canyonlands.

americansouthwest.net/utah/canyonlands/islan…

Definitely visit Arches and an alternate day two itinerary could be taking a one day trip down the Colorado River through Westwater Canyon. It might be more memorable and fun for the kids, as opposed to spending the day in the car and checking out the overlooks. It's a great way to experience the cliffs and mesas, have fantastic scenery with a little more action. You would still even have time to hit the Dead Horse Point overlook on the way out of Moab.

Take more water than you think necessary and have sunscreen and chap stick. Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Double Arch
Double Arch
502 Reviews
Arches National Park, UT
Mesa Arch
Mesa Arch
598 Reviews
Canyonlands National Park, UT
Moab
Moab
Utah
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moab Itinerary

Where are you going from Moab?. If that's to the south I'd try to avoid driving in the dark. If that's to the north/east drive ut128 out of Moab to I70 to continue your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moab Itinerary

We are actually going back up to SLC.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moab Itinerary

Thanks so much for the information. We can't wait.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moab Itinerary

Even on the way back to SLC I'd take 128 out. That's a detour but 128 gives you fantastic scenery.

USA
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moab Itinerary

I would definitely do Dead Horse Point and drive or raft Hwy 128 along the Colorado River. Very scenic. Arches has fun hikes, but is better seen hiking. Dead Horse and Hwy 128 are beautiful even when driving.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moab Itinerary

So coming from Park City, should we visit Canyonlands first and Dead Horse on day one and save Arches and highway 128 for day two??? Or, should be do Arches on day one and squeeze in Canyonlands, Dead Horse and highway 128 on the way back? I'm not sure how much time we really need at each place, but it seems as though we should spend a whole day in Arches from the posts I'm reading. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,366 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moab Itinerary

See Canyonlands and dead horse point on the day you arrive. You will get to the turn off to these parks before Moab. Don't go into town. Just enjoy those parks first.

Then the next day spend your whole day at Arches. Bring a picnic lunch no food services are in the park.

I'm not clear if you have another day or if you'll be leaving that day. If you have another full day then you could spend it hiking to corona arch, doing a raft trip or biking or canyonering etc.

and it will add a little time to your return to go hwy 128 but well worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
USA
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moab Itinerary

You could do Dead Horse Point one day, and drive Hwy 128 the other day. Stopping at Fisher Towers on Hwy 128 is worth it. You could do a hike each day at Arches, since Arches is right there. I agree, don't bother spending much time in town. Hwy 128 is definitely worth it........very scenic.

Mentioned in this post
Fisher Towers
Fisher Towers
89 Reviews
Utah