We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel directions

Johannesburg South...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Travel directions

I am travelling to the USA in September spending 3 days in Moab. We have booked into the Hualapai Ranch Grand Canyon west for 1 night, on checking Map quest Google maps etc. we are getting conflicting routes on which way to go some say go on US15 via Las Vegas others say go US163 via Flagstaff so not sure what to do. Could any body help which would be the quickest & easiest route to take also to let us know if there are decent bathroom breaks with fuel?

Thanks David

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Moab
Moab
Utah
Hualapai Ranch
Hualapai Ranch
128 Reviews
Peach Springs, AZ
Grand Canyon West
Grand Canyon West
1,622 Reviews
Hualapai Reservation, AZ
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel directions

Both routes look to be over 11 hours from Hualapai Ranch at the Grand Canyon. I haven't driven either route the entire way, but if you have three days scheduled for Moab, you're going to eat up a full day driving and then depending on where you are going next, possibly another.

The best way to access Moab is from Salt Lake City rather than Vegas. It's easily over two hours faster. You may want to consider scrapping Moab in favor of Zion/Bryce which are much closer in proximity to where you will be. You may want to include the rest of your itinerary or a timeline, so people can better assist your travel needs as well. Have a fun vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,182 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel directions

Definitely a long day. Both routes are identical timewise. Personally, I would suggest the 191 to 89 to Flagstaff route as you would be able to route via Monument Valley. I would also recommend you split this, mainly to enjoy some of the sights along the way. You probably know this, but Hualapai Ranch is not a part of Grand Canyon National Park. Would recommend you also go to the park, which is a bit of a ways away.

If you do decide to take the I-70 to I-15 route via Las Vegas, you have plenty of stops en route except for the stretch between Green River and Salina/Richfield.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel directions

Basically its an interstate drive (I70 and I15) or a 2 lanes ride till you get to Flagstaff. As T&C mentioned it won't make much difference in time. Last stretch you'll have to drive part on a dirtroad to GCW. Do you really just have one day to drive between Moab and GCW? It will be a long one. No problems for fuel via Flagstaff either. Blanding,Bluff, Mexican Hat, Kayenta, Tuba City, Cameron Trading Post (maybe a stop here for food)all have fuelpumps. Try to spend a night at the real Grand Canyon on your way.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,365 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel directions

I still say your are crazy to do this. You will get better culture at Monument Valley.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel directions

I am not sure where you will be travelling from but Grand Canyon West is remote. If you are starting in Las Vegas, it would be better and shorter to go via the "real" Grand Canyon in the National Park and from there on to Moab. Even then, it is a long stretch from Grand Canyon NP to Moab.

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Travel directions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 13:19